× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Insight Connected Wired Devices missing; take off LLDP necessity

Please take off the restriction that Insighht will only show Ethernet wired clients that are LLDP enabled.

There should be a way to find the mac address of a device and other relevant information like it's assigned IP address, and which Switch it may be connected to.

There's so much more information given on the CLIENTS tab for wireless connections, but on the Wired connection unless the device support LLDP then its totally missing.

I think this is pretty poor to help in investigations into what is happening for clients that plug in physically using Ethernet.

3 Comments
schumaku
Guru

There is definitivley (much) more available - MAC tables, ARP tables, ....

FWIW some Smart Managed Plus switches are identified and shown, at least name, full product name, ... IP is missing however. Of course, no details possible here ref. connected devices.

BowQtr
Follower

Yes, there is some data in CLIENTS --> WIRED, but only if the device supports LLDP, which is why SIP phones and most switches will appear, but very little else.    I can't understand why there has to be a dependency on LLDP, when other information could still be shown if LLDP is missing (which is used to show CONNECTED NEIGHBOURS)

It seems a half baked implementation dependent on a protocol which isn't used on many devices, so shows blank missing data which could be smartly supplemented with known information that is clearly available to the switch,

schumaku
Guru

> There is definitively (much) more available - MAC tables, ARP tables, ....

I had all the other information in mind the cloud managed switches have available internally of course, beyond of what is accessible on Insight.

On some sites, we see most wired clients "connected" ot the WAC and WAX for example 8-/

Talked to Netgear on these issues several time since the feature came up unexpectedly (and incomplete), including the topology view a few weeks ago. It's clearly a work in progress feature.