× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Make GS324TP FAN speed adjustable

Currently, as soon as you plug in a single PoE device FAN's start turning at 50% even though the load is only 2w.

Maybe this can be configurable, or better tuned based on the temperature of the switch.

We just replaced a GS310TP with a GS324TP for port density and the noise is quite disrupting in an open office space.

Cheers,

Eelco

4 Comments
501technet
Novice

We have a client that's having the same issue. We bought the switch for them back in November. After about a week they started complaining about a noise coming from the rack. The rack is located in their Kitchen/Breakroom. I had them get a recording of the sound as well. It was quite loud. I opened a ticket with Netgear here and after some troubleshooting they RMA'd the unit and replaced it. Same issue. Now going through the same process with support. We have updated the firmware, restarted the unit, factory reset then updated the firmware again and even taking it out of production to make them feel better about it being something else in the rack making the noise. Noise is still there.If i could attache the audio here i would. Just kind of bummed that they would make a great POE switch but it be so loud and not admit that its at least made to be that way. 

-Thomas-
Initiate

This has just been resolved in the latest firmware release 1.0.0.30.

Previously the fan would start up as soon as I attached a PoE device, and run at 50% duty cycle. Now, the fan seems to be temperature controlled. After I upgraded my device, the fan stayed off at first, the system temperature rose from ~42°C to ~57°C before the fan kicked in. It now runs at 33% duty cycle and keeps the system at 47°C. Note that this is in an unventilated rack with other hardware; PoE load is about 30W with 10 devices.

Before the update I had to close the room door so that I wouldn't be disturbed by the switch's noise. Now, I can't tell whether the room door is open or not. So the firmware release is definitely an improvement.

DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@-Thomas-,

Thank you for sharing here your observation. 🙂 

I'm glad to know that the newly released GS324T / GS324TP firmware v1.0.0.30 has helped.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

ltorsini
Novice

Amazing!  I bought this unit because it was advertised as 'quiet' but it has been anything but quiet from day 1.  After an RMA on the first unit, the firmware update seems to have solved my issue - now I have no fan noise.

Ahhhh.