× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors
0 Kudos

Netgear Switching and Wireless Networking Link Aggregation incompabilities (LAG/LACP)

Hello,

I own multiple Netgear gigabit capable devices with varying support for Link Aggregation functionality between Static LAG and LACP IEEE 802.3ad options.  There does not seem to be a consistent implementation of the link aggregation protocols in firmware between pieces of Netgear equipment -- which I would expect to be more compatibile with each other instead of incompatible. While I don't have experience with using Netgear Link Aggregation with other vendor solutions, I worry there would be compatibility issues there too considering the inconsistent protocol availability between devices.  Specifically I'm looking for either LACP and/or LAG in both the JGS524Ev2 or GS116EV2 switches and the R8500 Wifi Router.

The ask here is a FIX to the problem via firmware updates which would provide for consistently available industry standard multi-gigabit link aggregation protocol support between -- at the very least -- Netgear's own equipment offerings.  Considering the fact that I can't use my Netgear Nighthawk Wifi Router (with 2-port LACP-IEEE 802.3ad link aggregation) and neither my Netgear 16 nor 24 port semi-smart switches with Static LAG support in combination with each other, it is very frustrating.

Is there any chance that Netgear engineers can breathe some more useful life into this gear by adding software for compatible and interoperable link aggregation?  I would like to think it should be possible since it's just software after all?

Thank you in advance for the consideration!  Please vote for this idea if you have or ever plan to use link aggregation on your Netgear or other networking devices.

1 Comment
schumaku
Guru

These Smart Managed Plus switches mentioned switching silicon can't do LACP - so no enhancement possible on the switch side.

Hit the same oddity when Netgear has launched the S8000 Pro Gaming Switch (GS808E) and wanted to set-up against the back then leading edge R9000.

Assuming the R8300/R8500 https://kb.netgear.com/29915/R8500-Port-Aggregation-FAQs make use of the same host based Linux link aggregation as it's in place on the R9000/R8900 (and not somehow switch code based - unlikely as similar switch class is built-in as in the Plus switches!) adding a UI control and a little change to select the static aggregation as an option would do the job.