× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

ORBI (et al) WEB/APP INTERFACE - MORE AGGRESSIVE DEVICE POLLING

Currently (and historically) Netgear does not always show all connected devices. This leads to a loss of user confidence in the web interface and app's ability to reflect the current state.

Example- my currently connected NAS is not listed in the Attached Devices even though I previously reserved an IP address for it under Advanced -> LAN Setup. (The NAS indeed is using this reserved address.) The NAS is a wired and active connection but is only visible under Advanced->Access Control-> "View list of allowed devices not currently connected to the network". Notes- 1) other active devices are also listed as inactive. 2) normally Access Control is not implemented - this is the only visibility to devices known to be active.

Use case- provide more aggressive active device polling.
1 Comment
schumaku
Guru

There is no polling at all - the "connected devices" in this device class (and floated over to these "SMB" Orbi systems) is based on the DHCP activity and/or active Internet usage. Popular example is a simple configurable network switch, virtually disappearing from the list once the admin has configured a fixed IP address. Yes, I'm fully with your idea.