× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Orbi Pro needs more than 2x2 stream radio!

More a comment than a questions; after having deployed the consumer version of Orbi, I was looking at Orbi Pro for a small business; but since the hardware is more or less the same, my original complain/suggestons stands: Orbi need better than a 2x2 stream radio for client-facing connections. For MU-MIMO to become useful, a 2x2 radio is inadequate. Moresoe, when Apple computers all boast 3x3 streams, and even cable-provided routers usually go to 3x3 (with Netgear itself offering 4x4 in their program), why can't the high-end version of Orbi offer a better radio? 

4 Comments
TheEther
Guru
I'll hazard to guess that it's a trade off between cost and performance. While Apple computers and other high-end laptops support 3x3 streams, the vast majority of wireless devices (smartphones and standard laptops) are either 1x1 or 2x2 devices.

As to leveraging MU-MIMO, all client devices must support it before it will work. If even one SU-MIMO joins the network, MU-MIMO will not work. Paying a pretty penny for a bunch of expensive 3x3 MU-MIMO satellites that will hardly be used doesn't make sense for most people. The market is probably not mature enough to support such a product.

This is strictly my personal opinion, so take it with a grain of salt.
Kyne
Apprentice

Hi,

and thanks for the input. And, yeah, that's fair in terms of the limited amount of devices that have 3x3 radios today. That said, the more streams the more efficient the unit would be - even in regular MIMO. That is, since most devices are 2x2, this would at least serve to be able to serve a 2x2 device and a 1x1 (say, a phone) at once. Or, said Apple or other high end devices with higher speed at 3x3.

I agree, probably a cost/performance balance measure. I would just like Orbi - especially the Pro version - to have a model that does utilize more streams.

Cheers

TheEther
Guru

@Kyne wrote:

That said, the more streams the more efficient the unit would be - even in regular MIMO. That is, since most devices are 2x2, this would at least serve to be able to serve a 2x2 device and a 1x1 (say, a phone) at once. 

Regular MIMO (aka SU-MIMO) can't serve multiple devices at once.  Only MU-MIMO can do that.  SU-MIMO can only serve a single device at a time, so 3x3 would not be any more efficient when dealing with 2x2 and 1x1 devices.

For reference, compare Figures 3 and 4 in this article by Cisco on 802.11ac Wave 2.

I agree, probably a cost/performance balance measure. I would just like Orbi - especially the Pro version - to have a model that does utilize more streams.

They've been slowly upgrading all of their Nighthawk routers with MU-MIMO.  When they get to the Orbi, I'm sure they'll add a stream.  MU-MIMO "burns" a stream in order to work, so they'll have to add one in order to maintain parity.

Kyne
Apprentice

I stand corrected - understood re SU-MIMO vs MU-MIMO.

thanks!