× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Please add DHCP reservation feature to switch M4300

As the core of LAN, L3 switch really needs DHCP reservation, which is indispensable. It's well-known that switch is the most stable hardware in network. It's more likely for a bare-metal server goes down than a switch does. If M4300 has DHCP reservation feature, we can transfer the DHCP server from a PC to the switch, which could enhance the stability and convenience for management of the network significantly.

At present, in "System-Services-DHCP Pool Configuration", I have to create ONE "manual_pool" for EACH MAC-IP mapping. It's REALLY tedious and boring. I think you can add at least two features to improve the situation.

1. Re-design "System-Services-DHCP Pool Configuration-Type of binding-manual" in the web-gui, and allow people to add multiple MAC-IP-GATEWAY-DNS-NETBIOS mappings to one 'manual_pool'. For example:

https://i.loli.net/2020/04/03/lotb2NgSHzwpqIL.png 

In this way, users can easily add or remove records by clicking the '+' or '-' button ahead of each line.

2. Add a new command to load an external text-based datebase which contains all the information stated above from a USB flash drive or tftp server. In this way, users can create and modify the text-based database using their favorite text-editor and then upload it to the switch.

It would be great if the developers can add the features I stated above to M4300.

Thanks a lot.

1 Comment
diegog
Novice

Hi there, 

I totally agree with this comment. DHCP reservation should be easy, as with many other good brands.

We have several M4300/M4250 Switches, some with DHCP server on.

Thanks for the comment above; I hope this is taken into account soon.

Best regards