× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors
0 Kudos

(Possible) Bug: NSDP running amok

Hi,

my company recently purchased an XS716T. While configuring it I stumbled over a problem regarding NSDP (“Netgear Switch Discovery Protocol”, I suppose?):

The syslog is spammed once a second with the following pair of messages:

<11> Nov 6 18:41:28 sw-a-14.cb.switches-1 General[nsdpTask]: nsdp_control.c(1777) 6216407 %% NSDP could not create the socket - No such file or directory
<11> Nov 6 18:41:28 sw-a-14.cb.switches-1 General[nsdpTask]: nsdp_control.c(1510) 6216406 %% osapiSocketBind failed - Address already in use 

Also there is an nsdp process which hogs the CPU:

CPU Utilization:

PID Name 5 Secs 60 Secs 300 Secs
---------- ------------------- -------- -------- --------

1270 (nsdp) 81.48% 85.63% 85.33%

(The actual values sometimes go down to ca. 75% or up to ca. 95%).

While the log messages are only annoying, the worst they can do is possibly hiding a messages that would actually be interesting, and filling the disk of our remote receiver of the syslog messages.

However, I’m concerned about the CPU utilization. If one process occupies so much CPU time, other processes may starve, and the high utilization may cause higher CPU temperature, and thus possibly reduce the life time of the CPU or the fans (and therefore the switch).

The firmware is 7.0.20.0 (current at the time of writing).

Any input from the Netgear engineering department about what’s going on here, and whether this is expected behaviour?

Thank you for your help,

Tobias

7 Comments
schumaku
Guru

Disable this NDSP stuff in the discovery section.

toku99
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

Disable this NDSP stuff in the discovery section

That’s the first thing I had in mind but I don’t seem to be able to do so: The only “discover” settings I could find are the LLDP settings (unlikely, but anyway, I turned LLDP off on all interfaces because there’s no global setting to shut it off but nsdp still ran and hogged the CPU), and “Router Discovery”.

On the “Router Discovery” page there’s just a single row of settings, which incomplete: There’s no “Interface” to select:

Screenshot_20201110_152001.pngBut I suppose that’s because the switch does not act as a router; we don’t need this, we just need a 10G switch.

Do you have something else in mind where NSDP could be turned off?

Tobias

toku99
Aspirant

@toku99 wrote:

Sorry, my picture didn’t seem to have made it. 😞

toku99
Aspirant

Well, turning (IP) routing on didn’t change the settings which are available on the “Router Discover” page.

toku99
Aspirant

Since NSDP is supposedly used for SCC, I turned it on (“Security” => “Management Security” => “SCC Control” => “SCC Admin Mode” = “Enable”). The nsdp process was still running and hogging the CPU. The I set “SCC Admin Mode” back to “Disable”, but nsdp couldn’t care.

schumaku
Guru

Tobias,

Create a ticket with https://my.netgear.com/ -> My Support -> Contact Support

Supply these details plus the Tech Support file (-> Maintenance > Export > HTTP File Export).

Should your switch be out of chat support (e.g. second hand), open a new thread please -> Smart Plus And Smart Pro Managed Switches Forum  - for completeness, you can post it regardless, mention there is an open ticket (or insert the number), and keep the community updated there.

Regards,

-Kurt

toku99
Aspirant

Hi Kurt,

thanks for the suggestion. I had thought about opening a ticket but then decided against it and post on the forum because the only option was to chat.

As per your suggestion I also created a new discussion on the Smart Pro forum; it’s located here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-and-Smart-Pro-Managed/Possible-Bug-NSDP-running-amok-on-....

Thank you again for all your help and suggestions.

Tobias