× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

SXK80 Inter-VLAN Firewall Rules

It would be helpful if the SRK80 router supported defining firewall rules between VLANs. This would enable administrators to allow limited access to devices in other VLANs, more precisely than "Network Isolation" on (completely closed) or off (completely open).

A common use case of this feature would be to place IoT devices such as Chromecasts on an IoT VLAN and allow personal devices such as smartphones to control these IoT devices from a personal VLAN, withouth allowing IoT devices to access the personal VLAN. An example of this use-case is illustrated in OpenWRT which is already what the Orbi Pro Wifi 6 firmware is based on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvniZs8q3eU&t=310s

11 Comments
hnagaraju
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you for your inputs.

Are you looking more for "static route" feature or mDNS service gateways ?

bredward
Tutor

I'm not looking for static routes, nor mDNS service gateways, although the latter is useful for inter-VLAN Chromecasting, and is already implemented as of beta firmware v3.2.5.778.

What I'm looking for is the ability to forward traffic between zones, where the zones are associated with VLAN, e.g. devices on my personal VLAN can open connections to devices on my IoT VLAN, but devices on my IoT VLAN can not open connections to devices on my personal VLAN, although they can reply to requests made from devices on my personal VLAN.

This setup is described in the YouTube video I linked to in my original post.

JasperC
Tutor

I second this feature request. I own this pro model, but I should have defined my requirements before I bought it. I expect more advanced features from a pro model. I believe it should compete feature for feature with the UniFi Dream Machine Pro. See https://youtu.be/ufJ3dPAgFiM

CHUNKYBOWSER
Novice

I just bought an SXR30 and am disappointed that I don't have this feature either. I may need to ditch it and go with another solution. I was not aware of this before purchasing. I assumed that since it supports VLANs it would support this feature as well.

hnagaraju
NETGEAR Expert
Status changed to: Engineering Investigation

We are Investigating this feature.

Thank you,

Harsha

JasperC
Tutor

Great news hnagaraju. Thanks!

sasye
Novice

+1 this feature is essential for vlans.

AxeBro
Aspirant

Over a year Later No Action  

My Guess Is It's Never Happening.

Going To return My Units. The Only Feature That Pro Has That I Like Better Than Consumer Is Inter Client CommunicatIon For Iot  

bredward
Tutor

I'm also not holding my breath, but they did say it was coming. I've since bought a Firewalls Gold which allows control over VLANs, but it would still be nice to support this out of the box with Orbi Pro.

BigJoeFour
Novice

I am beyond disappointed. I am pissed off. How the hell can these ORBI Pro devices not support Firewall ruling between the VLAN's? How do most people use them without this feature? I have 1 VLAN for Office Devices (Laptops, Printer and NAS). All other Phones, Tablets TV devices and Google Homes are on a different VLAN. Then I have IOT devices (Home Automation with the Raspberry Pi that runs it on, in the IOT VLAN.

Without the Inter VLAN Routing it is impossible for me to have mobile users print to printers in the office VLAN. My Home automation can't transmit messages to the Mobile devices and Google speakers in the other VLAN.

I might as well just toss out all the Netgear kit I just bought and start over.