× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors
0 Kudos

SXR80 VLAN support in AP mode.

The SXR80 v3.3.0.122 does not currently support VLAN's in AP mode.  There are settings for it, but it doesn't work.  I suggest that VLAN support should work like it does on your smart switches.  Add support for specifying 802.1Q mode.  Each of the wireless networks should be treated like a network port.  Each port should have a PVID, and be configurable as trunk or uplink for each of the VLANs.

8 Comments
schumaku
Guru

Reads more like a firmware issue than a feature change. 

Mike16
Follower

That would be true if the VLan implementation was a complete implementation.  It looks like they took their Wireless implementation, and bolted on a half baked VLan implementation that doesn’t support 802.1Q.  It works fine if your internet provider requires VLan tags, but not if you have your own internal VLans.  What NetGear needs to do is take there wireless implementation and merge it with their smart switch implementation that has full VLan support.  I purchased the more expensive Pro version because it advertised VLan support.  I want to be able to completely isolate my home network from the network my wireless untrusted devices use by putting them on separate subnets.  I’m more then a little unhappy with that the VLAN support isn’t as robust as NetGears smart switches.

schumaku
Guru

Please create a new thread for the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 (different from the one on the "classic" Orbi Pro by design!) in the community.

There is supposed to be much more than the IPTV WAN Bridge VLAN support as we know from the consumer Orbi and the first Orbi Pro generation. 

Regards,

-Kurt

Mike16
Follower

The support engineer I spoke to told me to post a message in the Ideas section because the current product doesn't do what I expected, and need it to do.  Where exactly do you want me to create a new post, and what is it that you want me to say?  There currently isn't any configuration settings related to 802.1q mode, and as far as I can tell it's not supported.

BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert
Status changed to: Engineering Investigation

Hi 

Please PM me your configuration and Network diagram. I think this is a bug.

Please describe details so I can ask Eng to investigate

eeeMikeee
Fledgling

My SXR80 worked great with VLAN until last FW Update, now I have a lot of new problem and the 90 days are over for support. 😞

What do I do now? Trash it and get a new one? I tried to buy support, but there is no support....

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-26 um 09.39.20.png

schumaku
Guru

@eeeMikeee In case this is also in AP mode please progress as @BruceGuo advised above.

In case you are facing a different config with router mode and VLANs, consider to open a dedicated thread in the appropriate section, because of the feature request thread is hard to follow up.

BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

@eeeMikeee  i am helping Mike to set it up his VLAN network. He will find a chance to try and feedback to me.

You can post details in your topology here first. I need to confirm it is a bug or setup issue.