× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors
0 Kudos

Switch Temperature Alerts

Please allow for temperature alerts and also custom temperature alerts for Netgear switches. 

I'd like to be able to have a temperature alert sent to the IT team of an overheating switch while also having an automated email sent to the site manager for their awareness.

This feature would be great for Insight-managed switches or any switch for that matter. Temperature alerts are critical and can be a business stopper.

1 Comment
schumaku
Guru

Whatever operational status you are behind, the appropriate (industry standard) way for monitoring network devices would be SNMP. This could include some temperature information available from the hardware platform. Cumbersome is that Netgear has given up the implementation of the private OID .1.3.6.1.4.1.4526 NETGEAR-BOXSERVICES-PRIVATE-MIB outside of the managed switch product line, so there is not standardized access to the temperature sensor(s) anymore. This would be the standard starting point ... Sure, they could implement some proprietary daemon for reading the temperature visible in the Web UI, and extend the Insight dat structure accordingly, making temperature events visible in the Insight events.  However, this would be more than incomplete in my opinion. 

Reality today is that devices operated within the allowed environment operating temperature range - typically 0° to 50°C (32° to 122°F) - don't cause issues. Personally, I'm more concerned abut potentially failing or broken fans. This does bring back my request for the mentioned private OID again. 8-)

Even the heavily used XS7xxT, the MS510TX* and the passively cooled GS110EMX barely run business critical hot here.