× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

WAX - attach Guest SSID to a VLAN

Hi, 

when I'm using the Guest Network chekbox in Wireless Setting - Access PointVLAN Isolation is disabled. This is quite limiting in network designs.  It would be great if the firmware allowed to assign Guest Networks to specific VLANs.

My actual case now is with WAX214, but I understand this intended and is applicable to other Wifi AP models, too.

Thanks,

Jo

3 Comments
HBGreg
Onlooker

Just ran into this today as well.
Thought I was seeing things... not sure why it's not a feature...?

schumaku
Guru

The more I think about this, it appears different features are mixed-up here.

If you want to configure any SSID as a guest network bound to a VLAN you can do it - just do -not- use the guest network feature, and you have the full flexibility and can enable the VLAN isolation*.

*in my opinion a complete odd feature to allow the communication between different VLANs - if somebody want to allow traffic between different VLANs, it would be a router task - not an access point feature.

The guest network feature does add a DHCP server for that network, assinging IP address in the range from 192.168.200.100 to
192.168.200.200 to the guest clients, and add a many2one NAT and does allow IPv4 trafic with the Internet only (to the default gateway only). This feature does however not require yet another VLAN for the guest network already isolated and logially restricted (guest == provide Internet acess only) Unluckily, this does force this VLAN isolation to disabled - completely strange, and of course higly limiting the value of a multi-VLAN design.

hnagaraju
NETGEAR Expert
Status changed to: Comments Requested

WAX500 and WAX600 series allows VLAN tagging for SSID that has WebPortal (Guest Portal).

Both of them can be used as Standalone APs and can be managed by local UI (https://aplogin.net)

We have NAT-mode SSID in latest firmware.

We allow NAT-Mode SSID to be enabled/Disabled in WAX610/WAX610Y/WAX615/WAX620/WAX630/WAX630E.

In WAX214,  the Guest SSID creates its own DHCP/NAT