× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

WAX610 fast roaming in local management

Hi, 

I know that the question was allreay asked, but I HAVE to use a local mangement mode, and I wanna use fast roaming. 

I have a 3 floor house, with a very big garden, so I have 4 APs:

- 2 WAX610 (AX1800)

- 1 HPe E-MSM460 (J9590) 

- 1 outdoor EnGenius ENH1750EXT

Both EnGenius and HPe support fast roaming. 

Could we excpect to have this fonction implemented in local management mode? or NetGear will force to use cloud?

Thank you!

Cheers, 

Serguei 

5 Comments
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@speedman,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I moved your post here in the Idea Exchange for Business board.  In this way, the development team can see what feature (fast roaming) does WAX610 users wanted to be added to the functionality of it while in local management mode.

Be reminded that the more kudos given by community members to this feature request will help as the development team will be reviewing the post that has the most kudos and might get considered to be implemented

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

William_vV
Onlooker

Dear Dane,

Although this discussion is already few month old, I feel the need to connect on the topic as this also is a disappointment for me. Maybe however you can help me solve this ....

I have a WAX214 AP that works well for half a year now and decided recently to do away with an older non-NG AP and add another WAX. To have some more functionality, specifically seamsless roaming and some more range I decided to get the WAX610 next to the WAX214 I already had.

The WAX214 has a tick that can be set for fast roaming and I indeed also found, after some reading, that on the WAX610 this can be set as well, however only when using the Insight/Cloud management. This was pretty diappointing, not what I expected and am now not sure if I should downgrade the 610 to another 214 as I do not need remote management would not want to pay a yearly fee only for fast roaming.

I can see that for businesses the insight app has real value but for home use it is no more than a nice to have, effective roaming however is of value everywhere.

Can you explain why this is as it is? Is it technically difficult to set/have fast roaming with the 610 locally or is it, to be blund, just a choice of the marketeers to link it to the subsciption?

Hope you can help us home users a bit here ...

Many thanks in advance,

William

fipoac
Novice

Still not available.

What a shame, that Netgear does not seem willing to allow users to use that feature without paying for another subscription.

Curiously all other big players do not feel the need to block such features - which have nothing to do with central management - in their local only modes.

@William_vVthe only technial reason is syncing the mobility domain, but that should not pose a problem from a software perspective, just allowing a user to set it would suffice.

catsmangruff
Follower

@fipoac

Still not available.

What a shame, that Netgear does not seem willing to allow users to use that feature without paying for another subscription.

Curiously all other big players do not feel the need to block such features - which have nothing to do with central management - in their local only modes.

@William_vVthe only technial reason is syncing the mobility domain, but that should not pose a problem from a software perspective, just allowing a user to set it would suffice.

@fipoac @William_vV  @speedman  802.11r needs a centralized endpoint to share encryption keys between access points. Because of this I'm assuming the netgear cloud services handle that process. Typically other product lines will have a management endpoint that can be run locally, but this product line doesn't have that.

schumaku
Guru

@catsmangruff almost - for WPA2-PSK there is no need.