× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

Wifi Analytics for IOS

Do you plan to write Wifi Analytics for IOS Iphone / Ipad ?  I know that this has been asked before but I could not find a solution.  I'm trying to find the best channel for 5Ghz.  Since a Wi-Fi analytics tool can be used to identify the local networks surrounding me and determine which channels are congested and which are lesser used, I can determine the optimum wireless channel.  My 5ghx keeps dropping and it's making me crazy.

11 Comments
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi mskalski, 

Welcome to the community! 

This will depend on the number of users that will benefit from the app. The more kudos it gets, the more it is likely implemented. This board is monitored by our engineering and product management team. If a request gets enough demand it will get more attention. 

Thanks,

Tbbarton
Novice
Would expect 50% of your user base is iOS
WAJ
Aspirant
Aspirant
Using the app for years on Android devices and WiFi Analytics is one of its best features. You removed it from an update several months ago but immediately brought it back with the next release due to user demand. Why would the user's mobile device matter? Need WiFi Analytics on IOS version of Genie.
AbhayB
NETGEAR Employee Retired
Status changed to: Uncommitted Candidate

Hi, we are looking into some option here but please note that the issue is that iOS does not have as rich WiFi APIs (as Android does) to be able to 'scan' the network and manipulate within the app. That's one reason why there's no WiFi Scanner app in general in iOS. 

Abhay

TC_Beaverton
Novice

Hello Netgear folks,

I have been using Netgear hardware for my home networking needs since at least 2002 ( last login paperwork I have in my files) and have always used the Android app to check neighborhood network channel mapping and avoid overlap/saturation. 

Since my last android device died, and I am now on iOS, I want to know what support you have for ( or recommended app ) replacing the Android app I loved to use. 

Thanks

PS I agree with one of the prior posts regarding the number of iOS users out there who would like to have a “Netgear” solution. 

sgreene978
Aspirant

Without a doubt. The growth of iOS devices in the past 1o years has been remarkable. However, the future does not appear as "rosy."

But I must agree with the other poster who suggested that at least 50% of the Wi-Fi user based in via iOS devices. And yes, I dod understand Abhay's explanation that the iOS software does not lend itself to the length and breadth of Android software's API. Perhaps, an app that can do part of the mapping that so many of us are looking for, could be developed.

Thank you!

Steve

nirajkmr
Tutor

It’s so unfortunate that this analytics app doesn’t exist for iOS device!! There are many other signal strength apps around in iOS, why can’t netgear build that? If you could pull channel info in, that would satisfy a lots of need. Thanks 

AbhayB
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi all,

We are always looking for great inputs from the community. However, from our knowledge, (you can google this all day) iOS frameworks and APIs don't allow any apps to use iOS APIs to scan and obtain Wi-Fi data. 

dgOnNGC
Fledgling
“there's no WiFi Scanner app in general in iOS” is a bit of an overstatement, Apple simply reserves this functionality to their own Airport routers and related app. They can probably claim it is for security reasons but I wouldn’t be surprised if undermining competition plays a role
RRYUL
Novice

Doesn't iOS have just under 50% of the market share in the US?  Probably a good chance that just under  50% of Netgear users have iOS devices & would benefit from an iOS app?