× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors

assign vlan during RADIUS (802.1x) authentication

Hello,

I'm using IEEE 802.1x wired authentication on my switches, generally it's working ok, but a bit slow as the switch tries to authenticate to the RADIUS server and can't get an authentication, you'll get timeouts and retries and when all of this fails the guest VLAN will be assinged to the port.

All good and well, but I also use PXE boot for installations and sometimes different bootmodes and the time it takes to get a connection with the VLAN exceeds the timeout of DHCP resulting in not connecting.

I can do some finetuning limiting the timeouts and rerequest, also change the DHCP timeout a bit. In some cases this works, but it's a hassle, I've seen on HP switches that I use that they just assign the guest VLAN (or default VLAN) to the port while attempting the authentication giving a way more smoother experience.

I would like to suggest to assign the guest VLAN first and then attempt an authentication, changing the VLAN if/when authentication is accepted.

I found this to be the case in all NETGEAR switched that I used, not a particular range.

1 Comment
schumaku
Guru

Valid proposal!