× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Announcements

Polls
What is your Experience with NETGEAR Insight cloud management?
Top Contributors
0 Kudos

separate SSID with Fast Roaming disabled for Smart home devices

Fast roaming works great for my 3 WAX 610 AP's on my home network for mobile devices.   However, I have some legacy Smart Home devices (light strips that are not mobile) that lose their conection after a number of days and need a hard reset when fast roaming is enabled.

I would like to have features to either define a unique SSID for only a single AP (not all 3), or alternatively, be able to disable fast roaming for either specific SSID's or perhaps for 2.4GHz communications.

WAX610 and WAX610Y both with 9.5.1.20

3 Comments
schumaku
Guru

Nothing that stops you from adding an additional SSID, pointing into the same VLAN, ... if using local management you are free to define it on the WAX you prefer, if using Insight it will be on all APs but you can disable Band Steering, Fast Roaming, ... by SSID. And you can create this on both or the select band only.

Would love to attach a screenshot to proof - but afraid my account has hit the 999 image limit @ChristineT pleeeeease.

-> https://photos.app.goo.gl/vkuq26NWDa7TACiZ8

I would rather prefer to have the IoJ makers to fix thier wireless clients....

schumaku
Guru

Insight SSID band steering and fast roaming controls.PNG

schumaku
Guru

Thank you @ChristineT 8-)