Device Type: Sync choices on iOS app and router web admin page, fix sort order, add more
Using 1x RBR50v2 with 3x RBS50v2, all running the latest 18.104.22.168. And, using the latest iOS Orbi app 22.214.171.124.
The "Device Type" choices on the web admin page on the router (i.e. the "Edit Device" page one gets when clicking on a device on the "Attached Devices" screen) has a dropdown with a set of choices which are not the same choices as on the screen one gets on the iPhone app after clicking the "Edit Icon and Name" link on a device.
- For starters, the webpage has actual useful English words, but the app has icons that are not always obvious. That is not good. At least the icons should have labels.
- Also, the app has only 15 icons while the web page has something like 41 choices. Which means, the app ends up doing some sort of mapping from 41 to 15, which is not exactly good. The iOS app needs to have the exact same list as the web admin page. Better yet: The app should get the list from the router!
- After the latest FW update on Orbi, the previously sorted device type dropdown now has Apple TV at the end of the list. Completely out of place. This dropdown should always be sorted.
- Also, random common device types are missing on Orbi admin page: "Apple Watch" comes to mind. Also "Windows Laptop" is missing while there is a bunch of Mac/Apple device type entries. I am sure there are other device types that are missing that I am not able to remember right now.
- The icon on the web admin page for "Windows PC" is a monitor! Why? On the iOS app, it at least looks like a computer with a monitor sitting on top of it. Also, due to lack of "Windows Laptop" category on the web admin, they also get the Windows PC type and icon. But the iOS app has a laptop category, so has the laptop icon. I ended up needing to mark my Windows laptops as Macbooks to get the right icon on the web admin page. Overall, the lack of equivalency of device type names and icons between the admin web and the iOS app is causing an inconsistent mess...
- On the Attached Devices page on the admin web, there is enough screen space to put the English word next to the icon under the DeviceName column. They would be easier to decipher than just icons.
- While talking about the Attached Devices page, I'll sneak in an important suggestion for that, too: Please make the columns in the Connected Devices table sortable! Right now, I don't see how that table is sorted. Not by device type, not by Allowed/Blocked, not by name, not by IP, not by MAC... Just random! Every one of those columns should be sortable on.
Thanks for listening!
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.