Martyn67
Aspirant

GC108P switch losing contact with Insight

I have 2 x GC108P switches in my network both connected to a VirginMedia Hub 3.0 router.

For the past week, both switches (independently) keep losing connection with the insight cloud impacting the WiFi network attached via POE (3 x WAC510) and all devices attached. When this happens the status lights of the port connected to the router turn off - but the router port is OK having attached a MacBook to the LAN port as a test. The connection to the internet is also fine because the inbuilt Wi-fi in the router still functions.
The problem is solved by rebooting the switches which seems excessive but can't access them to troubleshoot.

Is this a known issue with the switch? or should they be returned under warranty?

Model: GC108P|Insight Managed 8-port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with FlexPoE Power
Message 1 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GC108P switch losing contact with Insight

@Martyn67,

Welcome to our community! Smiley Happy

It seems that you were having issues with your switch. What is the status of the port LEDs when this happens? I'm assuming that there is a broadcast storm happening on your switch that causes it to disconnect to the internet. How many devices are connected to the switch?

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
Martyn67
Aspirant

Hi John

thanks for your reply.

The problem started on Friday evening (a couple of hours after telling a colleague how great my Wi-Fi was throughout my house with this Netgear kit)

The cloud light went from blue to green and the port lights for the connection to the router turned off. Hard booting the switch restored the service for a couple of hours.

There are around 40 devices at peak connected to the network.

The only additional device connected was a smart plug after the problem started (to allow remote rebooting of the switch which is hard to access - although i lose access to this when the switch dies as it's driven from a WAC510). 

Is there a way to check for a broadcast storm through the local GUI?

Regards

Martyn

Message 3 of 8
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Martyn67,

Thanks for your reply. A broadcast storm can easily be identified once all the ports start blinking at the same time. May you be able to share the tech support file in order for us to identify the issue?

You may check it here on how to download the tech support file on page 218.

Regards,

John

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
Martyn67
Aspirant

Thanks John

The tech support file for one switch is attached.

We had a Virgin Media Broadband outage on Monday from 09:15 until 03:19 on Tuesday. The switches have so far performed normally since the internet service has been restored.

Regards

Martyn

Message 5 of 8
Martyn67
Aspirant

second file - only seem to be able to attach 1 filae at a time and had to convert to pdf

Message 6 of 8
kevin_hong
Apprentice

Hi @Martyn67 

Welcome to community,

Thanks your feedback and provide tech-support file.

I only assumed your network topology based on your description.Is it like this?

VirginMedia Hub 3.0 router =======GC108P*2========WAC510*3(via PoE)

After check your "tech-support" file, I think it's the loop in your environment that's causing this problem.

For "tech-support-1.pdf" file:

Port 5 is flapping all the time and there was loop-detection in this switch(192.168.128.2)

<180>1 2019-01-01T06:10:09.300+1:00Z 192.168.128.2-1 PORT-4-ERR_DISABLE rsd_port.c(950) %% loopback-detection error detected on GigabitEthernet2, putting GigabitEthernet2 in err-disable state.

Please Enable "STP" on all devices and make sure the network has no loops.

Notes: For WAC510 STP is disabled by default.

BTW: If you set up the Wireless Bridge on your AP, You can't have multiple AP connected to the switch at the same time, which can also cause a loop

Model: GC108P|Insight Managed 8-port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with FlexPoE Power
Message 7 of 8
Martyn67
Aspirant

Thanks Kevin

That is very helpful.

The connectivity is as follows                                                                 

/ - GC108P   / WAC510

Virgin Media Hub 3.0 Router |                     \ WAC510

\ - GC108P - WAC510

The port showing the loop has an Apple Thunderbolt Display attached and a macbook pro connected to that via thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter. Could the loop be caused by the macbook getting a connection from both LAN & WLAN?

Interestingly I received an alert for another port showing a loop. Upon investigation this port was the connection for a very old Comtrend Powerline adapter - as a precaution this has been swapped out for a pair of Netgear PLP1000's

I have also enabled STP on both switches so fingers crossed all will be well again now.

Regards

Martyn

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements