× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GC108P with IoT VLAN

dvenardos
Aspirant

GC108P with IoT VLAN

I am trying to separate IoT devices (Sonos, iRobot, Nest, etc.) into a separate VLAN but still discover and access them from a trusted VLAN. Does the GC108P support Bonjour / Multicast forwarding by itself or does that require a separate firewall / router. 

Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GC108P with IoT VLAN

@dvenardos,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Does the GC108P support Bonjour / Multicast forwarding by itself or does that require a separate firewall / router. 

The GC108P supports Internet Group Management Protocol (IGMP) snooping which allows a switch to forward multicast traffic intelligently. Kindly read pages 168-182 of the GC108P user manual here about IGMP snooping.  

You can also manage the Bonjour settings on the GC108P.  Kindly read pages 79-80 of the GC108P user manual here

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
dvenardos
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

Pages 79-80 seems to refer to Bonjour in relation only to being able to discover the IP address of the switch itself, whereas, I am inquiring whether or not Bonjour will work across VLANs. By default Bonjour only works within the same subnet. Specifically I would like to get AirPlay to work across VLANs (i.e. Apple devices can Airplay to devices in the IoT VLAN).

Model: GC108P|Insight Managed 8-port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with FlexPoE Power
Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@DaneA not sure this feature applies to inter-VLAN-routing capabilities. I'd tend to deploy a router or securty appliance to add multicast routing such a network.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements