× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108Tv3 simple VLAN setup problems

adlep2002
Initiate

GS108Tv3 simple VLAN setup problems

Hello,

I am trying to setup a VLAN in my SOHO environment. I am trying to divide network in one part of my environment into two parts:

1. The original good ole 192.168.1.x class C 255.255.255.0 with 192.168.1.1 SonicWall router/firewall and 192.168.1.12 DNS server (typical setup). This is our main network

2. New part has a range of 172.16.0.x 255.255.0.0 - I need to be able to communicate with a production equipment that has been preconfigured to run on that range. This is an axulary network. I dont need DHCP server to run there, I just need the 172. scope to be able to communicate with some computers on the 192 scope

I have a windows database server on the original network that will be recieving and logging data from 172.16.0.x IPs and dumping that data onto another server in the 192.168.1.x scope

Current situation:

Windows db server is connected directly to GS108Tv3 smart switch that is configured with a static IP address of 192.168.1.11

Anything on the VLAN1 is able to access the internet and ping the rest of the network

I have enabled routing on the switch, created a new VLAN called 172 and assigned it the follwing paramenters: IP 172.16.0.254 Subnet 255.255.0.0

I have left ports 1 to 4 to be untagged with the VLAN1

Port 2 goes to the main SonicWall router. DB Server is connected to Port3

I have assigned ports 5 to 8 to be untagged with the newly created VLAN 172

Result:

I am not able to ping IP adresses in the scope of 172.16.0.x (VLAN 172). from the scope 192.168.1.x (VLAN 1)

Anything pluged in to ports assigned to VLAN 1 can browse the internet and anything assigned to VLAN 172 can not.

Test Windows 10 workstation was plugged in to port 5 and I have assigned it a test IP of 172.16.0.200 with a subnet of 255.255.0.0 

That workstation is able to access the switch on both 172.16.0.254 and 192.168.1.11 IPs but it is unable to browse the main network on the VLAN1 and no computer on VLAN 1 is able to ping it. 

I think I am missing a step somwhere. 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
adlep2002
Initiate

Re: GS108Tv3 simple VLAN setup problems

Hello,

This is a quick update about this project. Ultimately I have figured out that the L3 capabilities of this product are subpair and added just for decoration with a buggy interface. 

I have purchased Cisco SG350 10P switch and was able to make it work and it works very well. All objectives were accomplised with a bonus DHCP server configured on the SG350 and operating on the VLAN 172.

SonicWall cooperated very nicely with the SG350 with routing rules configured in 10 minutes.

One comment:

1. When testing your setup in the lab in a non production environment make sure your SOHO router is able to setup static routes and do NAT for additional networks. That was a problem for me as I did not have an access to anything close in capabilities to SonicWall. 

2. When testing inter VLAN communication between hosts DISABLE windows firewalls on your Windows 10 clients (doh)...

Thank you very much for your response and trying to help me. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Which device do you expect doing the L3 routing between the 192.168.1.x/24 and the 172.16.0.0/16 subnetwork? This simple switch probably can't - check the fine manual. You might bring this new network into your Sonicwall on another interface and setup the routing (and firewall rules) if any.

Message 2 of 4
adlep2002
Initiate

Hello,

This is a quick update about this project. Ultimately I have figured out that the L3 capabilities of this product are subpair and added just for decoration with a buggy interface. 

I have purchased Cisco SG350 10P switch and was able to make it work and it works very well. All objectives were accomplised with a bonus DHCP server configured on the SG350 and operating on the VLAN 172.

SonicWall cooperated very nicely with the SG350 with routing rules configured in 10 minutes.

One comment:

1. When testing your setup in the lab in a non production environment make sure your SOHO router is able to setup static routes and do NAT for additional networks. That was a problem for me as I did not have an access to anything close in capabilities to SonicWall. 

2. When testing inter VLAN communication between hosts DISABLE windows firewalls on your Windows 10 clients (doh)...

Thank you very much for your response and trying to help me. 

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@adlep2002 wrote:

Ultimately I have figured out that the L3 capabilities of this product are subpair and added just for decoration with a buggy interface. 

Ultimately I think you must be wrong here. What conclusion should Netgear get from this sorry sayin useless problem report?

Not a Netgear problem if your test set-up is not anywhere near to the effective intended production set-up. In many deployments you don't want L3 VLAN routing (a feature these switches can do nicely) bypassing security appliances like these Sonicwalls. 

@adlep2002 wrote:

The Cisco Small Business Managed Switches come with fully blown feature sets most SMBs never use - completely overwhelming for the average non-IT networking professional user base.  And I'm talking as an engineer who worked with Cisco SMB a lot on the introduction of their SMB switch lines on Beta and field testing.

Anyway, I would love to see more Netgear Smart Managed Pro models, for example with the hardware features of the SG350-10P.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements