Guide

GS108Tv3 version 7.0.1.20 "Only limited Web GUI functions available if the device is not registered"

Can we get some further explanation on exactly what functions are limited by not registering this device? There has already been backlash for the attempt to require web connectivity to manage the switch in the previous firmware. With the new firmware its sounds like its register the device or we'll cripple functionality. My initial work around for this issue is to block all netgear devices from access outside the management vlan (a switch shouldn't require internet access to begin with). I cannot trust a firmware update that may remove functionality that I may have configured.

Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Re: GS108Tv3 version 7.0.1.20 "Only limited Web GUI functions available if the device is not re

Don't panic.... with the switches registered before, they remain fully operational.

The change from the original design is that for new installations we have to use the [My]Netgear account only once - what requires Internet access - from that point on, you can use the local non-cloud based login again.  

Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Guide

Re: GS108Tv3 version 7.0.1.20 "Only limited Web GUI functions available if the device is not re

Doesn't really answer my question... What features are "limited" when the switch is not registered.

Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Simple: The switch registration is enforced ...
Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Guide

So no updates for me. Seems pretty big brotherish, wonder whats really behind it (CIA NSA???), to disable features we paid for in the name of registering a product. Kinda sad, this GS108Tv3 fill a very unique set of requirments for me yet I will not purchase any more units until somthing changes with these firmware/registraion issues.

Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

@CraigSki wrote:

Seems pretty big brotherish, wonder whats really behind it (CIA NSA???), ...

No, the opposite: The switch does no longer require the cloud based [My]Netgear login with the changed feature - as in follow-up of various community rants and requests, and does bring back the local admin login again. Further on, Netgear is "happy" to send you notifications of product specific security issues, available firmware updates, ... unless you opt-out.

What's the point for not registering the product initially - so it's listed in your account from the installation date, you can open chat support tickets, and request warranty replacement? 

Here is what the GS108Tv3, GS110TPv3 Data Sheet (DS-GS108Tv3/GS110TPv3-27Feb19) says - which is commonly considered a part of the sales contract:

===

NETGEAR quality and reliability
• Worry-free Limited Lifetime Warranty*, online technical chat support and Next Business Day (NBD) replacement.

*This product comes with a limited warranty that is valid only if purchased from a NETGEAR authorized reseller, and covers unmodified hardware, fans and internal power supplies – not software or external power supplies, and requires product registration at https://www.netgear.com/business/registration within 90 days of purchase; see https://www.netgear.com/about/
warranty for details. Intended for indoor use only.
===

Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

@CraigSki,

If you have not registered the GS108Tv3, here below are the following features that you can still access: 

1.  System information
2.  IP configuration
3.  Power adapter capacity (FlexPoE models only)
4.  Power over Ethernet configuration information (PoE models only)
5.  Memory log
6.  Soft reboot
7.  Reset to factory settings
8.  Firmware update
9.  Firmware file management
10.  Configuration file upload and download
11.  Remote diagnostics (enable or disable)

As reference, kindly access and read the article below: 

What features of my NETGEAR Smart Managed Pro Switch can I access without registering?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Model: GS108T|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Initiate

This is pretty unacceptable in my opinion. In our department network switches do NOT have Internet access; they are on our management network. Having to connect switches to the Internet just to enable full functionality is utterly absurd, and it makes us feel like our hardware really isn't ours.

Why are you doing this? We have been loyal customers for a long time and have been happy with your products. Adding additional steps that make it difficult to get our equipment online quickly is not good customer service.

Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Guide

Glad to see someone else who agrees this is insane. I really like these switches, but had to pull them off my test network and will no longer be considering them as canidate hardware. Really it's hard for me to even consider any netgear hardware after they have shown they are willing try to remove features from products that are already purchased and installed.

Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Initiate

Completely agree with the sentiment in this thread.  Having to give internet access to a switch for it to work (even if it's only once) is entirely unacceptable.  I recently had an RMA where I received one of these switches as a replacement for a switch that used to be locally managed, and now I can't use it.  

Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Tutor

We have the same problem with GS728TPv2 and is unacceptable the need for an internet connection to have the full gui functionality.

I hope that in the next release this odd behaviour will be fixed!

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Initiate

That is BS... I just bough this abomination, and you do NOT get full access to the gui withou registering....
Im taking thes thing back, and doing like I should have done in the first place... buying small HP procurve...
Fool me Once.....

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 27 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements