× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How can I DAC connect a intel x520-da1 card with a netgear gc110?

Krewmen
Aspirant

How can I DAC connect a intel x520-da1 card with a netgear gc110?

Hi I bought a 10Gtek® für Intel X520-DA1, 82599ES Controller 10Gb-Ethernet-adapter (NIC/CNA), PCI Express 2.0 X8, Single SFP + Port and I want to connect it with a Netgear gc110. I tried a cable from Amazon: Intel Kompatibel SFP+ Kabel XDACBL2M 2-Meter, 10Gb/s SFP+ Twinax Direct Attach Copper (DAC) Kabel, Passiv, MEHRWEG, both ends can be compatible withj mit Intel, Ubiquiti, Netgear, D-Link, TP-Link, Zyxel, Supermicro, Mikrotik, ZTE, Quanta, Solarflare, PaloAlto, F5

But it doesn't connect: Connection Test Results  Connection status: Failed
This adapter has no connection. Make sure that the cable is connected and that the speed and duplex settings on the adapter and the connection partner are configured correctly.

Model: GC110| 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: How can I DAC connect a intel x520-da1 card with a netgear gc110?

Can't promise the compatibility (I'm not Netgear) is you intend to stick with a DAC and the SFP+ cable a the switches require an SFP+ (10G) port, like the Insight managed GC728X (with two SFP+, plus two SFP for linking the GC110 SFP for example), or a MS510TX (one shared SFP+/10GBase-T).

If you could consider to switch the X520-DA1 to something with a 10GBase-T interface (if the host is permitting, drivers are available, ...) very affordable Aquantia AQtion AQC107 based PCI cards are readily available in the market, like the QNAP QXG-10G1T - then you can look for any switch with 10GBase-T - for the Smart Managed Plus you can start from a GS110EMX, for the Netgear Gaming Switches the SX10 (GS810EMX), ... 

At the end of the day, it depends on what other systems you like to connect, what other port/speed types, what kind of management you expect.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The GC110 does not have SFP+ ports able to run on 10 GbE - in the SFP/SFP+/Fiber world, there is (different from standard Ethernet on copper) no speed negotiation. A X520-DA1 can only be connected using a DAC cable to a device with SFP+ running on 10 G.

Message 2 of 5
schumaku
Guru

One point to check - does the X520-DA1 driver have a control to config it to 1G?

Message 3 of 5
Krewmen
Aspirant

Thanks for your help. No, I can't not change the speed. For which Netgear switch minimum I have to go at least?

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Can't promise the compatibility (I'm not Netgear) is you intend to stick with a DAC and the SFP+ cable a the switches require an SFP+ (10G) port, like the Insight managed GC728X (with two SFP+, plus two SFP for linking the GC110 SFP for example), or a MS510TX (one shared SFP+/10GBase-T).

If you could consider to switch the X520-DA1 to something with a 10GBase-T interface (if the host is permitting, drivers are available, ...) very affordable Aquantia AQtion AQC107 based PCI cards are readily available in the market, like the QNAP QXG-10G1T - then you can look for any switch with 10GBase-T - for the Smart Managed Plus you can start from a GS110EMX, for the Netgear Gaming Switches the SX10 (GS810EMX), ... 

At the end of the day, it depends on what other systems you like to connect, what other port/speed types, what kind of management you expect.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements