× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to connect two switches - gc510p

fredrikmont
Aspirant

How to connect two switches - gc510p

Hello, I wonder how (if possible) to connect two gc510p switches? When I try with a cable they do not connect, so I wonder if there is a setting I need to modify or how to do it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Regards. Fredrik

Model: GC510P|8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: How to connect two switches - gc510p

Sounds a liiiiiitle bit dangerous for this job 8-0

Give him some assistance - convinced in the team you manage it. Same time you learn on how to make the cables and the installation, it's not difficult in general.

Be very picky that exact the same pairs are set-up on the screw ports of the wall outlet. If this still does not allow Gigabit Ethernet, consider to replace the wall ports by at least CAT5E (betterCAT6A) capable plug system intended for network installations.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Of course a common RJ45 CAT5E or better cable or an SFP-DAC or a set of SFP fiber modules with a matching fiber pair (crossed of course) will link up two GC510P or a GC510P with another switch model. 

We're commonly deploy short passive DAC or fiber links (for longer distances) for GC510P uplinks, in a LAG with two links.

Little bit lost what you have tried, what effective issues you are experiencing, .... Ethernet links up? 

Message 2 of 16
fredrikmont
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply. I did some further testing:

This configuration works: gc510p -  2 meter cable  - gc510p

This configuration does not work: gc510p -  20 meter cable  - gc510p

What I find surprising is that if I put a dlink switch after the 20 m cable it works:

gc510p -  20 meter cable  - dlink DGS-1008P (switch) - 2 meter cable  - gc510p

I believe the cable is a RJ45 CAT5E (my electrician installed the 20 meter cable).

So I am a bit confused. How come it works with the dlink switch but not the gc510p with the 20m cable?

Any suggestions on this issue?

Do I need to replace the 20 m cable to something different or is there any setting in the switch that can make it work?

Replacing the cable is likely not an option unfortunately (it is going through our house and would be very difficult to replace).

Any suggestions is very much appreciated!

Fredrik 

Model: GC510P|8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 3 of 16
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Few questions:

-If you connect the 20m cable from the dlink to either GC510p switch do you receive a link connection?

-When you use the 20m cable between each GC switch is there a link light on either end?

-In the local GUI under logging is there any logging being recorded when the cable is being connected to a port on either switch?

Message 4 of 16
fredrikmont
Aspirant

Here are my observations when I did the tests:

-If you connect the 20m cable from the dlink to either GC510p switch do you receive a link connection?

Yes, I receive a working connection.

-When you use the 20m cable between each GC switch is there a link light on either end?

No link light on neither of the GC switches

-In the local GUI under logging is there any logging being recorded when the cable is being connected to a port on either switch?

No logging on neither of the switches

I noticed one more thing on the DLINK switch when I connected it with the 20 m cable to one of the GC switches. See the attached image that shows:

Port 1, DLINK - 20 m cable - GC Switch) Yellow light, 10/100M Link

Port 4, Fiber router - 20 m cable - DLink Switch) Green light, 1000M Link

Message 5 of 16
fredrikmont
Aspirant

Here is the image I was referring to.

/Fredrik

Message 6 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Fredrik,

The fact that the D-Link does negotiate to 10 or 100 Mbit/s does also proof that there is something wrong with the 20 meter cabling. Does the installed cable terminate direct on the RJ45 connectors we see on the photo with the D-Link switch on the port #1? If yes, make good pics from both crimped connectors so we see the coloured pairs properly. If there is to much mixed or crossed-out, the switches Auto-X capacity might be able to "fix" things partially. 

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 7 of 16
fredrikmont
Aspirant

Thanks Kurt for helping out narrowing down the issue! Much appreciated.

I have attached the image of the connectors, this is the configuration:

- DLINK Switch

- connector see image connectors.png (1)

- 20 m cable

- connector see image connectors.png (2)

- GC Switch

Thanks, Fredrik

Message 8 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Patch cord is definitively wrong - 12356478 ... the pair 56 must be in the middle, the pair 34 span over the middle pair, ....

And if these telephone wall outlets are working at the 100 MHz frequences required for is kind a luck (but it's often OK). Hard to say if the wires are right on the wall plug...

Edit: Look for example here - https://www.howtogeek.com/60486/how-to-make-your-own-custom-length-network-cables/ - it does not matter if usich the Scheme A or Scheme B - but always use the same on both ends of a patch cable or a wall installation. Yuu see: The blue pair is always in the middle, and the amber/orange one goes around that one.

Message 9 of 16
fredrikmont
Aspirant

I attached a new image that shows a little bit better the order of the cables. For me it looks like T568B but the white-blue (3 in attached image) and white-green (5 in attached image) mixed compared to the standard. The rest looks ok, or am I reading it wrong?

But, it seems that 3 and 5 was twisted in the same way on the other end. So actually it does look ok for me (assuming that the wall connector is ok).

Am I missing something? 

Message 10 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Trouble is that this is RF transmission, and twisted pairs are essential - plain "correct" or logical DC connection is not sufficient. The colours don't really matter as log as the related pairs are the same on both ends.

12 3- 45 -6 78 this kind of illustrate the pairs ( identified always full colour and white/colour). Yours is 12 34 56 78 - so on four wires there are not the correct twisted pairs used.
Message 11 of 16
fredrikmont
Aspirant

I just did a test with a 20 m purchsed cable that I have and it works perfect. So for sure there seems to be an issue in the 20 m cable my electrician installed in walls of the house.

Since I am not an expert of this matter, I am not able to understand exactly what this means:

"Yours is 12 34 56 78 - so on four wires there are not the correct twisted pairs used."

Would it be possible to be a bit more specific on this as I am not able to actually understand what the issue is.

Is there a difference between? 

12 3- 45 -6 78 

12 34 56 78

Message 12 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@fredrikmont wrote:

"Yours is 12 34 56 78 - so on four wires there are not the correct twisted pairs used."

Would it be possible to be a bit more specific on this as I am not able to actually understand what the issue is.

Is there a difference between? 

12 3- 45 -6 78 

12 34 56 78

Yes, wrong copper strands are used for the inner pairs. It's essential - because symmetric data signals are used - that the correct twisted pairs are used. In these cables, the pairs with the same colours are twisted on some specific way - and this must be used all through the installation, on patch cord, and on the wall installations.

12 Pair 1

36 Pair 2

45 Pair 3

78 Pair 4

Your electrician needs some more training for data installations I'm afraid. This is not telephony or ISDN - these are RF frequencies as used in not so long ago on cable TV networks.  I'm still not convinced that these wall plugs (coming from the POTS/telephony/ISDN times) are feasible for the 100 MHz PAM modulation used for Gigabit Ethernet (cable testing as per the standards for Gigabit CAT5A is done to 100 MHz, 10GBase-T 10 Gigabit Ethernet runs on installations with PAM16 to be tested are tested up to 500 MHz). Good electricians bring test equipment and provide a proof of the cable test result (correct pinout, estimated length, cable attenuation, ...), too - or they exactly know what they do... Even experienced installers have some low error rates, and need to rework after testing. 

Message 13 of 16
fredrikmont
Aspirant

I think I got it now and understood what we need to do. A little curiosity - my electrician is actually color blind so this may explain why it got messed up with the cables.. 

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!!

Kindest regards

Fredrik

Message 14 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Sounds a liiiiiitle bit dangerous for this job 8-0

Give him some assistance - convinced in the team you manage it. Same time you learn on how to make the cables and the installation, it's not difficult in general.

Be very picky that exact the same pairs are set-up on the screw ports of the wall outlet. If this still does not allow Gigabit Ethernet, consider to replace the wall ports by at least CAT5E (betterCAT6A) capable plug system intended for network installations.

Message 15 of 16
fredrikmont
Aspirant

I certainly agree... not ideal to be color blind when you are an electrician! 

I will do and appreciate your support to nail this issue down!

Thanks Kurt

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements