× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No attached wired devices

phongshader
Tutor

No attached wired devices

I just installed a GC110P switch so that I could manage IP cameras remotely, however after I got everything up and running the switch was not showing any attached devices. There are two IP cameras attached to the switch and I can access them online and I can see and I can manage the switch through the Insight app...but no attached devices. Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 3.30.24 PM.png

I can see the cameras from the router page. Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 3.32.07 PM.png

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this is supposed to work but I'm guessing that I should see clients in the Insight app. 

Model: GC110P| 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: No attached wired devices

If the device you connect does not support LLDP that's all you get, nit much one can do. Few embedded systems have a control to enable to the LLDP is done as part of the Ethernet link establishment.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Insight -> Clients does list only wireless clients associated (and temporarily disconnected) with the Insight wireless access points.

Go to the switch device level (double click), and check Attached Devices. Information showing up here is based on Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) only.

Wired - Connected Neighbours.PNG

Message 2 of 8
phongshader
Tutor

There should be 3 ports utilized, 1 is an uplink to the router, 2 is an IP camera, 3 is an IP camera but here's what I got:Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 7.33.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 7.33.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 7.51.36 AM.png 

Model: GC110P| 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Can't see the screenshots yet - however I assume you try to tell us that there is no IP, MAC, or VLAN information shown. As mentioned, this data is derived from the neighbor device by LLDP. If not available, nothing will be shown.

Message 4 of 8
phongshader
Tutor

I don't understand how LLDP works even after reading through the wiki page. It sounds like, if I'm understanding , the identity/settings of a port are reported by the neighboring port or device..."used by network devices for advertising their identity, capabilities, and neighbors on an IEEE 802 local area network"? If that's the case how would I go about getting two ports with a device on each port to be self aware or see it's neighbor, or is another device needed, such as a router, to fulfill the need for a neighboring device? How do I get the ports to be able to broadcast what is attached to it or if it's in use?

Model: GC510P| 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

If the device you connect does not support LLDP that's all you get, nit much one can do. Few embedded systems have a control to enable to the LLDP is done as part of the Ethernet link establishment.

Message 6 of 8
phongshader
Tutor

I get it now, the attached device has to support LLDP. Thank you for your help!

Message 7 of 8
phongshader
Tutor

One more annoying question...the occupied ports are pulling power and have data moving through them that doesn't show up on the switch ports or overall traffic and powerusage for the entire switch. Why don't those metrics to show up on the switch? I understand why devices don't show up on individual ports, ip address, mac and so on but poe consumption and traffic through the switch as a whole I don't.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements