× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SFP+ RJ45

Theolodian
Tutor

SFP+ RJ45

I am running a 110P on a bonded trunk pair from a 728XP. I was hoping to use the 1Gbps SFP ports on each of the switches to do this and keep the PoE ports free. However, neither one of them likes the 1Gbps SFP to RJ45 adapters that I got from fs.com. The bonded pair works fine on PoE ports (with the PoE off), however a single link with the SFP to RJ45 adapters is very flaky and the bonded pair is a disaster. SFP+ DAC cables work fine on the bench but aren't an option in this office. Has anyone had a similar issue, or know of adapters that do work?

Model: GC110P| 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports, GC728XP| Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Theolodian
Tutor

Re: SFP+ RJ45

OK, the cheap SFP to RJ45 adapters work if you only use them on one end. The other end must go into a normal RJ45 port. No idea about the official ones, but this is good enough for now. At least I can use all 10 ports on my GC110P.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 13

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Theolodian,

The AGM734 would be compatible to both GC110P and GC728XP switches.  As reference, kindly check the data sheet of the respective switches below:

GC110P Data Sheet - check Optional Modules and Accessories page 15

GC728XP Data Sheet - check Optional Modules and Accessories page 15

Refer to the table below:

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 13
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Theolodian,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further inquiries.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 13
Theolodian
Tutor

I guess technically it is a solution. However it is not a practical solution as it is cheaper to buy more switches than buy the official adapters. 

Message 4 of 13
Theolodian
Tutor

OK, the cheap SFP to RJ45 adapters work if you only use them on one end. The other end must go into a normal RJ45 port. No idea about the official ones, but this is good enough for now. At least I can use all 10 ports on my GC110P.

Message 5 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Haven't used the two SFP+ ports for the modules on the GC728XP by error? Asking because of the subject "SFP+ RJ45" - SFP+ ports ... and these SFP+ ports don't support any kind of speed negotiation so GbE SFP modules can't work reliably in an SFP+ port.

Message 6 of 13
Theolodian
Tutor

Sorry about the confusing title. I am trying to use them in the 1G SFP ports. I'm still not getting consistent results so probably best avoided, but it means that the GC110P is really only an 8 port switch for most people.

Model: GC110P| 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports
Message 7 of 13
schumaku
Guru

Ok. Reason asking was that I'm trying to configure a similar set-up - with no-name/FS SFP 1 GbE copper modules in a GC510PP linking to another Netgear switch with SFP ports in a 802.3ad LAG - but all managed within Insight. And similarly struggling on unreliable connectivity results, too.

Message 8 of 13
Theolodian
Tutor

I currently have a GC728XP and two of GC110P. The GC110Ps are each running on a LAG bonded pair into the GC728XP, which then has a 10Gb SFP+ DAC into an M5300 L3. I am not using the SFP ports on the 728 for the 110s, just the normal ports. One of the 110's is using the cheap SFP adapters. It seems happy but there is a red circle slash on one of the SFP ports in the app - not sure what that means. The other 110 I have not been able to move onto the SFP ports, even one SFP port plays up. Haven't had a chance to do a lot with it because people are using that one during the day. Everything is currently on local management except that one 'test' 100 that is using the SFP ports.

Model: GC110P| 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports, GC728XP| Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch
Message 9 of 13
Theolodian
Tutor

I now have this running on switches with firmware 1.0.4.6 and all settings still on factory defaults - except for the LAG. So 2 adapters on a GC110P and 2 adapters on ports 25 and 26 of a GC728XP. The only obvious setting difference in the GUI  on the new firmware is that the Frame Size default is 1518 instead of 1500. The switches that don't work are still on firmware 1.0.2.11.

Message 10 of 13
Theolodian
Tutor

OK, it does seem to be completely down to the firmware update. The 'one end' that worked before was on 1.0.4.6 while the other end was on 1.0.2.11. Updated the GC110P that didn't work to 1.0.4.6 and it works, backdated it to 1.0.2.11 and it doesn't work, update it again and it does work - no changes to the settings. I would confirm the rest but 1.0.4.6 isn't available to download for the GC728XP yet, and there are some other issues with 1.0.4.6 at least on the GC110P.

Message 11 of 13
schumaku
Guru

@Theolodian wrote:

I would confirm the rest but 1.0.4.6 isn't available to download for the GC728XP yet, and there are some other issues with 1.0.4.6 at least on the GC110P.

It can be discovered via the GC728X (yeah, only) download - https://www.netgear.com/support/product/GC728X.aspx#Firmware%20Version%201.0.4.6 or direct on the GC728X / GC728XP Firmware Version 1.0.4.6 - the effective download URL does also unveil another secret - an upcoming GC752[X|XP].  No idea why the effective GC728XP download page was not updated - @bradleyv can you check?

Message 12 of 13
Theolodian
Tutor

Thanks. Yeah, I have downloaded it from there but am waiting for answers on my other issues before I try it. Having to reboot twice to change any settings is not an option right now while I am still configuring everything.

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements