× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Typology View shows no information

MSMSP01
Initiate

Typology View shows no information

I really like the new Typology view, but why does none of the units shows the PC/Server names connected to the devices?

But Netgear APs and some mobile devices do show up?

Thanks

Chris

2021-01-14 11_22_09-Clipboard.png

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Topology view is LLDP-MED based - just like switch devices connected neighbors - and "assisted" what the wireless access points able to figure out few details of the wireless connected devices. Trouble is that the information form the APs is vague, and with the intro of random MAC addresses it became very unreliable, leading to "Unknown Device OS". And when it comes to IoT and various other systems with embedded OS (like NAS, media players, ..) ... the results are more likely wrong than anything near the truth in my observation. Last but not leas, the switches won't have any similar capability.

Either way, I would assume all wireless connected devices (AP sourced) and all the equipment with LLDP-MED configured properly (like the Insight cloud managed switches and wireless access point) will show up.

Desperately want your own servers and workstations visible and correctly identified in a "managed" environment - there is no other way but enabling and configuring LLDP-MED (note just enabling the driver on Windows isn't enough). And then for the wireless iOS and recent Android systems disable the random MAC for your wireless.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Topology view is LLDP-MED based - just like switch devices connected neighbors - and "assisted" what the wireless access points able to figure out few details of the wireless connected devices. Trouble is that the information form the APs is vague, and with the intro of random MAC addresses it became very unreliable, leading to "Unknown Device OS". And when it comes to IoT and various other systems with embedded OS (like NAS, media players, ..) ... the results are more likely wrong than anything near the truth in my observation. Last but not leas, the switches won't have any similar capability.

Either way, I would assume all wireless connected devices (AP sourced) and all the equipment with LLDP-MED configured properly (like the Insight cloud managed switches and wireless access point) will show up.

Desperately want your own servers and workstations visible and correctly identified in a "managed" environment - there is no other way but enabling and configuring LLDP-MED (note just enabling the driver on Windows isn't enough). And then for the wireless iOS and recent Android systems disable the random MAC for your wireless.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements