× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Uplink IP

Jeremyse
Tutor

Uplink IP

I have another curious issue.  I am running multiple switches in my environment and when I look at the connected neighbors every link between the switches has a foreign IP that does not match the IP I assigned to the switch.

I have the following devices with configured IPs:

GC728X  - core switch 10.0.0.3/20 VLAN1

GC728 XP- leaf switch 10.0.0.4/20 VLAN1

GC510 PP -access Switch NW 10.0.0.5/20 VLAN1

GC108P- access Switch SE 10.0.0.6/20 VLAN1

When I look at the connected neighbors option  the Mgmt ip listed for my uplink between the core and leaf switch  is 169.254.0.239 

This condition exists between all the switch links just varying the last octet.  I have only one static route, and I believe VLAN routing is off.

I am a little beffudled and I am sure i just overlooked something but any help in fixing this is apreciated.

Model: GC510PP|8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ High-Power App Managed Smart Cloud Switch w/2 SFP Fiber Ports, GC728X|Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ Fiber Ports, GC728XP|Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jeremyse,

I got your private message and forwarded the diagnostics file to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support to check it. 

I just got feedback and it was confirmed that there are network parameters set to 169.254.0.239.  This is the cause on why the switch advertise this as its Mngt IP Address.  The only way to clear this is to factory reset the switch and reconfigure it.  To reconfigure it, be sure to delete it from NETGEAR Insight then re-add it.  Do NOT reload the configuration on the switch but be sure to reconfigure the settings via NETGEAR Insight. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 16

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jeremyse,

From the image you have attached, are you able to login to the GC728XP switch using the Management IP Address you assigned to it? 

The 169.254.X.X address shown as the Mngt IP Address under the Neighbor Info section is a self assigned IP Address.  This means it didn't get a DHCP address or it has a static address at the time of LLDP message.  It is possible that there is an interface on the switch that has a self assigned address and is sending that as its management IP address.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@DaneA the OP clearly stated the configured IP addresses, the screenshot does proof the IP connectivity to reach the Insight infrastructure is perfectly working - best guess over the 10.0.0.0/20 network, not over ZeroConf ...

Probably something going mad due to the 10.0.0.0/20 subnet - but unclear how the ZeroConf address comes into the game at all. Don't see this issue on a larger amount of Insight managed environments.

Message 3 of 16
Jeremyse
Tutor

@DaneA 

Yes I can ping and login to the switch locally using the mgmt IP address I assigned..  The ports in question are trunked for all VLANs becuse they interconnect the switches.  It appears to work fine, just looks really weird. I would expect the neighbor IP to be the MGMT ip in VLAN 1 that I assisgned instead of the 169.... 

That begs the question do I fix it, if so how?

Message 4 of 16
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jeremyse,

Thank you for your response.  From the NETGEAR Insight App, select the GC728XP then scroll down and tap Diagnostics.  Then, tap Share Diagnostics then enter your e-mail address and tap Send.  Once you have receive the diagnostics file, kindly upload it to Google Drive then send its download link to me via private message.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 16
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jeremyse,

I got your private message and sent the diagnostic file to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support to check it.  I got a feedback that everything looks correct from the Core and the remote side needs to be checked. 

Kindly send me also via private message the diagnostics file of the SW-Leaf switch.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 16
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jeremyse,

I got your private message and forwarded the diagnostics file to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support to check it. 

I just got feedback and it was confirmed that there are network parameters set to 169.254.0.239.  This is the cause on why the switch advertise this as its Mngt IP Address.  The only way to clear this is to factory reset the switch and reconfigure it.  To reconfigure it, be sure to delete it from NETGEAR Insight then re-add it.  Do NOT reload the configuration on the switch but be sure to reconfigure the settings via NETGEAR Insight. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 16
Jeremyse
Tutor

Wow, ok I guess I need to plan for my next maintenance window.
Model: GC728XP|Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ Fiber Ports
Message 8 of 16
Jeremyse
Tutor

Ok, so last night, I attempted to remove and restore switches to factory condition.
Moved backward starting with access and leaf switches then to core. Results, no luck, still get the zero conf address as the mgmt IP for the interface connecting to the core. The interesting thing is when I removed the core switch from the app, it came up and accepted the Static IP address from my DHCP server. When I added the switch to the insight portal, it dropped the reserved IP and took another. I have included the event logs concerning the Core switch. So what else can we do? Do I need to RMA the core switch? It works but not correctly, and that is always a concern.

Model: GC728X|Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ Fiber Ports, GC728XP|Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ Fiber Ports
Message 9 of 16
Jeremyse
Tutor

New wrinkle:

Yesterday I  performed the following steps:went in and . then di. 

1. removed all the switches via the phone app

2. factory reset all switches via the reset button on the switches

3. disconnected a fiber port on the LAG

4. added Core Switch via phone app

This came up with correct IP and all connected neighbors had the correct Mgmt IP

5. Added Leaf Switch

This too came up with correct IP and neighbors 

6. Created LAG between Core and Leaf switch 10G sfp+ ports 27 amd 28 

after this step the mgmt IP for the leaf switch reports as 169.254.0.239, and the other switch which should show a mgmt ip of 10.0.0.5 attached to port 4 of the core shows 169.254.0.239 for a mgmt IP.

So the question now becomes , Do I RMA the core switch becuase none of the steps I took resolve the issue. 

Model: GC728X|Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ Fiber Ports
Message 10 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@Jeremyse wrote:

Do I RMA the core switch becuase none of the steps I took resolve the issue. 

No. Clealry a bug ref. the firmware LAG implementation.

Message 11 of 16
Jeremyse
Tutor

@schumakuSo basically wait until the next firmware revision?  Nice.. At least with Cisco they will create a custom version for me. I guss it helps to have 4000 switches under smart net lol 

Message 12 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Does it have any practical impact on the network operations, on the Insight management, or on some 3rd part network discovery and management tool (I know here it can cause a prom of course)? Or is it for now purely cosmetic?

@Jeremyse wrote:

@schumakuSo basically wait until the next firmware revision?  Nice.. 

First Netgear has to admit and understand the issue. It might be "configured" - however not intentionally and explicitly by the user. Much more it looks ot me like an automatic default.

@Jeremyse wrote:

At least with Cisco they will create a custom version for me. I guss it helps to have 4000 switches under smart net lol 

Not a problem on switches with a very different price tag and a 20% p.a. support contract.

Message 13 of 16
Jeremyse
Tutor

@schumaku 

All valid points! Cosmetic so far, until it isn't.  With this "potential bug" I don't know what I don't know hence the reason for the post. It isn't correct behavior,  cosmetically speaking or not and my dhcp server is logging the IPs as invalid on the mgmt VLAN, so there is a problem although I see no impact to the traffic atm..

Thanks for the help everyone!

Model: GC728X|Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ Fiber Ports
Message 14 of 16
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Jeremyse,

Thanks for posting the updates about the steps you did. 

New wrinkle:

Yesterday I  performed the following steps:went in and . then di. 

1. removed all the switches via the phone app

2. factory reset all switches via the reset button on the switches

3. disconnected a fiber port on the LAG

4. added Core Switch via phone app

This came up with correct IP and all connected neighbors had the correct Mgmt IP

5. Added Leaf Switch

This too came up with correct IP and neighbors 

6. Created LAG between Core and Leaf switch 10G sfp+ ports 27 amd 28 

after this step the mgmt IP for the leaf switch reports as 169.254.0.239, and the other switch which should show a mgmt ip of 10.0.0.5 attached to port 4 of the core shows 169.254.0.239 for a mgmt IP.

So the question now becomes , Do I RMA the core switch becuase none of the steps I took resolve the issue. 

On step 4, you mentioned that the Core was added back in and it said all neighbors had the correct Mgmt IP, yet this was the first switch you have added back in so there should have been NO neighbors.

Does it mean that only the devices connected over LAGs are showing the 169.254.0.239 addresses?

Kindly send me via private message the config file of both the Core, the working leaf and the "broken" lagged leaf.  You may upload the config files via Google Drive then send me a download link to it.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 15 of 16
Jeremyse
Tutor

@DaneA 

Forgive the lack of clarity at step 4.   After I removed the switches and performed the hard reset, they all came up, albeit not in insight.  They all get an address from the DHCP server, so when I added the Core switch it did show the IPs on the interfaces for the neigbors even though they were not included in insight. if that makes sense.  I then added the other switches and neighbor IPs were as expected.  When I crereated the LAG that's when it went wonky. I deleted the LAG and the IPs were persistent in the neighbor view.

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements