× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will NAS and PC communicate at 10GB speed using GC728XP?

foxthedog
Aspirant

Will NAS and PC communicate at 10GB speed using GC728XP?

I just purchased a GC728XP switch, but I'm not sure if I made the right choice.

This is what I want to accomplish: 10GB communication between NAS and PC, main usage will be to work with 4K video files in Premiere Pro. My NAS and PC only have 1GB NIC cards, but I will add 10GB PCI cards to each. After adding the cards, do I just plug each one into the SFP+ ports on the GC728XP, or am I missing something?

Also, does anyone have suggestions on NICs and cables?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Model: GC728XP|Insight Managed 28-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Will NAS and PC communicate at 10GB speed using GC728XP?

If you talk of 10G DAC cables - yes. For this purpose yo can go shopping for 10GbE SFP+ cards for the NAS and the PC.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@foxthedog wrote:

I just purchased a GC728XP switch, but I'm not sure if I made the right choice.

If you need just two 10G ports and some more 1G - great choice.

@foxthedog wrote:

My NAS and PC only have 1GB NIC cards, but I will add 10GB PCI cards to each. After adding the cards, do I just plug each one into the SFP+ ports on the GC728XP, or am I missing something?

The 1G connections are no longer required or of much use - consider to disconnect after moving the IP address config to the new interfaces if you intend to continue using the same ones.

@foxthedog wrote:

Also, does anyone have suggestions on NICs and cables?

NIC depends - especially on the NAS side - on the NAS make and model. Unless you have a custom build which can taky "any" hardware and drivers.

For the cables it depends on the distance from the switch to the NAS resp. the computer. For short distances you can use 10G-DAC Direct Access Cables (1..5 meters passive, 5..10 meters active). When considering optical SFP+ modules, fiber and module connector must match, e.g. MultiMode OM3 (or higher) fiber with LC connectors (bi-directional - one pair, two fibers) and SFP+ 10GBase-SR MultiMode 850nm 400m DDM for example.

Netgear does not enforce correct modules IDs, so generic ones or modules programmed to another vendor are typically OK. 

Message 2 of 8
foxthedog
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.

Yes, the NAS and PC are the only two 10GB items I have, so I'll be using the other 24 ports for everything else. I should have been more clear in my explanation, I planned on disabling the 1GB NICs in the NAS and PC.

As far as the NAS, it is a custom build :

ASUS WS C246M PRO uATX Server Motherboard

Intel Xeon E-2176G

16GB ECC Memory

3X Seagate EXOS HDDs Raid 5 (for now) will change to 6 when I add more drives.

Running OpenMediaVault software.

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

For the decision on teh 10 GBE cards you need to think about the connectivity you want to achieve - or what is already in place. Alternate to a DAC or SFP+ fiber transceivers you can think about using SFP+ 10 GbE modules on the switch side, and use a [probably existing] CAT6 or better in-house cabling, and install 10GbE copper interfaces (RJ45).

Message 4 of 8
foxthedog
Aspirant

Again, I should've been more clear, I apologize.

The PC, NAS and Switch will all be within close proximity of one another  (6 feet max). Will copper passive cabling and transceivers be sufficient?

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

If you talk of 10G DAC cables - yes. For this purpose yo can go shopping for 10GbE SFP+ cards for the NAS and the PC.

Message 6 of 8
foxthedog
Aspirant

Thanks again for your help, greatly appreciated. If you celebrate Christmas, Merry Christmas, if not, have a great day!

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Merry Christmas @foxthedog! Thank you, we're having a wonderful time here, too.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements