pdjhh
Aspirant

email notification when switch port goes down - GC108PP

Hi there. Just adding my fist switch. I am getting email alerts if the switch goes down but can't see how to alert (by email, not just notification) when a switch poirt goes down. Can this be done on either a per port basis or any port?

Thanks.

Model: GC108PP|Insight Managed 8-port Gigabit Ethernet High-Power PoE+ Smart Cloud Switch with FlexPoE Power
Message 1 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Re: email notification when switch port goes down - GC108PP

@pdjhh wrote:

I am getting email alerts if the switch goes down

This is a cloud message - it's trigered if the managed device is no longer reachable by the cloud.

@pdjhh wrote:

...but can't see how to alert (by email, not just notification) when a switch poirt goes down. Can this be done on either a per port basis or any port?

Nope. Far to much a "normal" thing in daily operations IMHO...

Message 2 of 8
pdjhh
Aspirant

I'm sorry but i would like to know if a server port or an access point connected port goes down before a user complains. I'm dissapointed with netgear already and I haven't installed the switches yet. Telephone support cuts off when you choose 1 for support and the ticket I raised has vanished without a trace. And the cloud interface is slow and clunky. This isn't business grade IMHO as you say.

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@pdjhh,

the ticket I raised has vanished without a trace. 

What is the support ticket number you are referring to?  I'll inquire it.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
pdjhh
Aspirant

I have the ticket number now it's 43374217. Latest comments are thast they are chasing it as a feature request. This isn't correct though because the option (feature) is already in there. I've selected it and it just doesn't work so that's a bug not a feature request. They've sat on it for a week so far - I'm starting to think I have chosen the wrong product for my switching needs by going with Netgear.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@pdjhh wrote:

This isn't correct though because the option (feature) is already in there. I've selected it and it just doesn't work so that's a bug not a feature request.

Yes and no.

While there are notifications logged for the event of a switch port going down, there is no way to configure a trigger for e-mails and push notifications for many of these events. There is neither a control to enable a trigger say network-wide, location-wide, switch-wide, or just for a selected port. The same applies e.g. to the disassociation of a wireless client MAC address from an SSID because a network admin want to watch andmonitor some wireless infrastructure device btw.

@RaghuHR@YeZ  - there are definitively enhancements to do in this area. Seems feasible because this all happens on the server side, not requiring any change on the devices.

Beyond of the above, it would be nice to have the ability to generate such triggers for push and e-mail from "any" entry in the logs - lazily and confusingly named notifications as explained several times already.

In fact this is not a switch thing - much more it's a global Insight shortcoming. In my opinion, this thread should be reloacated to the Insight community section.

Message 6 of 8
pdjhh
Aspirant

Under location settings the option is there to check email and push notifications for information level notifications. A port going down is an information level notification, simple as that. I'm now going to have to pay, out of my own pocket, for a ping tool and pc to run it on to tell my customer when an important device goes down because insight doesn't do what it says it will do.

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Not sure what the effective design intention was or is. In a "real-world" set-up, with router, switches, wireless APs, ... the amount of informative notifications forwarded as push and/or email would flood servers and the customer. 

@RaghuHR please enlighten us - and push changing the confusing designation for "Notifications" used in Insight.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements