Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Best way to create Pro account while waiting for PRO licenses

nmhTester
NETGEAR Expert

Best way to create Pro account while waiting for PRO licenses

In case Pro user is waiting for reseller to e-mail pro licenses, but want to install devices or try out Insight. Here is one possible option.

1) Create an account with e-mail you want use as "InsightPro Admin"

2) Sign up for "Premium Trial".  This provids free  access with unlimited device credits and all features enabled for 30 days (terms may change, see https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Insight-Network/Insight-Free-Trials-FAQ/m-p/1674866

3) Add locations, Devices (only one user is allowed in premium)

4) When you finally get your Pro licenses, follow the e-mail instruction, create a pro account. the software will find that there is already an account with that e-mail ID. It will ask if you want to convert from premium to Pro. (This is one-way conversion and final)

5) A wizard pop's up and asks user to add the each "locations" to one or more "organizations".

once this one time wizard is done, user is all set with Pro account that supports full Multi-user and Multi-tenancy

Key :

Is to start from Insight premium trail. if you were in Basic paid or Premium Paid, there is no issues. you can use the same account via wizard convert from basic to pro or premium to pro once you get the Pro license.

In Insight Pro the Networks are organized

Organizations -> locations-->networks/devices

Each organizations can have its own managers and owners.

In basic and premium

locations-->networks/devices

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Hello @icoleman_uk 

The critical limitation is that there can be only one Administrator.

Managers you can ad as many as you like.

However, none of these email addresses for these two roles (one Administrator, many Managers) can be used with some personal, private, or whatever other non-Pro Insight subscription. 

Sometimes Netgear should jump and create KB entries or the like from such community posts 8-)

Regards,

-Kurt

PS: If you had not used and configured your Insight Pro environment and hae registered devices using the test license, you can re-start from scratch with a new administrator (and a "generic" email for this identity). Otherwise, I'd suggest you get in touch with the Netgear Support (using the serial of an Insight management device for the moment) so they might be able to change the Adminitrator role email.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

As the Insight Pro system and Insight premium / standard has some limitations in the way they work with identities (email addresses) and roles: Plan wisely - otherwise you will run into issues!

First, having to migrate existing Insight standard/premium accounts to Insight Pro is more than strange. The software designers aparently did don't understand common identity and roles handling. That's flaw #1.

As there can be only one Insight Pro Admin for an organisation - this role is hard coded to an either migrated [as described] or it can't carried forward. What serious organisation does work with a single identity for such a high privileged role only is beyond me. This ends where the U**x world started many decades ago - with shared credentials, depreciated - like for the root account. While the U**x world overcome this with the su and sudo, Insight is still hung back in the early 1970ties..That's flaw #2.

->>> To overcome #2, the suggestion for now is to create a dedicated email address (we're using an email group) for the Insight Pro Admin role.

Then the Insight Pro Admin does create Insight Pro Managers. Here again, it's not the role, Insight Pro does force you to use yet another identity. No serious business has email addresses à gogo - typically every user does have his own unique identity. However, this is the "every day" role you use for keeping Insight managed up and running This identity must be available for many different roles. This is as of writing, not possible. There is no proper roles model in Insight overall. This is flaw #3.

->>> For the Insight Pro Manager roles, use your organisation standard personal email addresses.In case this address is already in use to manage an Insight standard/premium network - which can't be migrated into an Insight Pro location/site, you are busted. 

Message 2 of 6
icoleman_uk
Aspirant

Wish I spotted this post before I created my own Insight account...

We're waiting for Pro licenses so I thought I'd get the accounts set up and add the licenses when we get them.

Problem is, I created an account using my own e-mail address.   I just assumed I'd be able to add more Admins later and if, for example, I leave the organisation later they can take me off and they would still have admins.  Apparently not so.  Seems a bit silly.

So now my plan is to use a shared mailbox to set up the account and then add myself and my colleagues ad Managers.  Problem is I registered for insight with my e-mail address.  I don't really want to be messing around with aliases etc.  Now what do I do?

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Hello @icoleman_uk 

The critical limitation is that there can be only one Administrator.

Managers you can ad as many as you like.

However, none of these email addresses for these two roles (one Administrator, many Managers) can be used with some personal, private, or whatever other non-Pro Insight subscription. 

Sometimes Netgear should jump and create KB entries or the like from such community posts 8-)

Regards,

-Kurt

PS: If you had not used and configured your Insight Pro environment and hae registered devices using the test license, you can re-start from scratch with a new administrator (and a "generic" email for this identity). Otherwise, I'd suggest you get in touch with the Netgear Support (using the serial of an Insight management device for the moment) so they might be able to change the Adminitrator role email.

Message 4 of 6
icoleman_uk
Aspirant

Thanks Kurt,

I haven't registered any devices yet, I wanted to make sure I could add other admins beforehand and I'm glad I did.

I'm going to create an account using a generic e-mail as you suggest however, as I understand it, I won't be able to add myself because I've already registered an account with my e-mail address.   (obviously I could create another e-mail address but that's not the point...)

I'll get in touch with Netgear whem I'm at that point and see what they say.

-Iain.

Message 5 of 6
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

@icoleman_uk You can private message me if you still need help on this one. Thank you.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements