Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Change Ownership of devices and Organization in Insight

MCholin
Aspirant

Change Ownership of devices and Organization in Insight

We recently took over an MSP Account from another management company and the only invite we got to the Insight system was as a manager. The owner is the network manager of the old monitoring company. Is there an article we can send to them about transferring ownership of the organization and devices? We want to get them transferred to a system administrator account under our clients domain so that they can more easily maintain control of the devices and network.

Model: WAC540|Insight Managed Smart Cloud Tri-band 4x4 Wireless Access Point
Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Fear you hit a weak spot here. I hope Netgear can assist with such a migration in the backgroud. Keep us posting about the project migration process please. @YeZ the OP needs assistance here as I'm not aware of such a click and play migration concept.

Message 2 of 11
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

The easiest way is to ask the existing MSP Admin account to change the account email (through my.netgear.com or insight.netgear.com, either way is fine) to a new Admin email account in your company's domain, assuming the new Admin email account does not exist with my.netgear.com or Insight system. If the new Admin email account already exists on NETGEAR side, you need to request an account deletion to NETGEAR first, before an existing account can be changed to this new email. 

Message 3 of 11
MCholin
Aspirant

@schumaku  and @YeZ, Thank you for the replies and the advise. We have forwarded a request to the previous company through our tech contact with our new client but per them we should not expect much in the way of help. From the way the Insight I can see is configured the previous MSP may have all of their customers setup under a single logon/owner, but that is just a guess as I do not know for sure. 

In a worst case scenario, is it possible to factory reset the APs and register them under a different Insight account, or would they need to be removed/released from the original account first?

Message 4 of 11
schumaku
Guru

The devices must be removed from the other Insight account environment. Factory reset won't help, once they go online, the old config will be restored from the cloud. Remember, removing will factory reset - so the customer might be without a working set-up.

Message 5 of 11
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Yes by resetting to factory default, the AP will be removed from Insight, so it can be manually re-added.
Message 6 of 11
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

We have a while ago implemented the deletion from Insight with a factory default.

And removing a device from Insight won’t factory reset the device, it will keep the settings as is. It’s the other way: when an AP is added to Insight, it will reset to default then downloaded the configuration from Insight.
Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Must have missed this major design change, sorry.

So when we re-add a device to the same Insight account, will it take again the very same configuration from before? Asking because of configuring many VLANs and pots on a bigger switch can be tedious, and a factory reset could be a valid recover procedure before @YeZ ?

Message 8 of 11
MCholin
Aspirant

@YeZ If I understand you correctly, we could factory reset the devices and claim them under the owner account we want to use, and that would remove the devices from the current owners list of devices?

Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@MCholin in my understanding: Yes.

However, the devices might be still registered on the same owner (Insight must not match the hardware owner!) on my.netgear.com - you might wat to prepare a list with serial numbers (ideally togehter with prof of purchase) so the product registration could be transferred if required.

Message 10 of 11
bbl_1
Tutor

Yes, the device would have been deleted from the previous owner once factory reset is done. @schumaku is right, that the serial number registration however would still be registered under the previous owner, we can help transfer the product serial registration later.  

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements