===

Subject: NETGEAR Account Alert: Device Command Failure

The following operation did not execute completely:

Details: 
Device Name: WAC505-<snip>-1 
Network Name: <snip> 
Serial Number: <snip> 
Model: WAC505 
Failure Reason: Unable to add known access point for device WAC505-<snip>-1. 

=== 

Going into the Notifications - and I have to rant how poor the Web UI is implemented, it does not make use of the full view scope, instead there are pletny of fixed sizes defined) - we get this:

"An error occurred while processing the command. Try the operation again."

1. There was no activity on that (W)LAN at that time.
2. There were no user triggered Insight admin actions taking place at that time.

WAC505 - Try the operation again.PNG

Taking a little bit a bigger scope, we find starting from 06:55 AM (GMT+0200) a few "Port 6 is DOWN" and "Port 6 is UP" notifications...

WAC505 Port 6 down up - Web adoption to view scope size.PNG

....concluded by a AP "Reboot reason - Unknown" at 06:57 AM (GMT+0200) ... some 15 or 20 minute hardware/software wachdog?

So please what does make an AP run wrong while unused and no admin activities going on?

And please, what does your Insight design and engineering team think the average network administrator or manager should do and conclude of these notifications?

WAC505 Reboot Reason unknonw 0657AM - Web adoption to view scope size.PNG

...and again - just to proof how poor the Web UI is implemented, we opened the "Notifications" from the header with the red 99+ ... Why that "frame" has to be that high, why the [Show all] button is down there where nobody does see it (unless you work on a 8k display with 100" screen size), and why the Notifications "frame" does not tke up the space ... all beyond me.

WAC505 Reboot Reason unknonw 0657AM - Web adoption to view scope size 2.PNG 
So please Netgear @skazi @MrJoshW ... WT* is going on here? @RaghuHR yet another reliability issue on the WAC505/WAC510!

Message 1 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Strange Email Notifications - No Obvious Reasons, Complete Unclear

Thanks Kurt for sharing your feedback. Could you please add more details to reliability issue on the WAC505/WAC510? I need to understand in details. You can PM with more details. Raghu
Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Wish I knew more @RaghuHR - kind of a black hole. Would the devlogs unveil details from before the apparent restart some 20 minutes after Insight struggled?

Message 3 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Yeah please send the diagnostic logs. Will check that.

Message 4 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Ha, still no remote and Insight option to download, right? This idea does translate into sitting into the car, visit the site, ... Pretty basic, isn't it? Like a Web UI that makes use of the view scope for content, not for white emtpy frames. ... Zzzzzz Netgear. 

And don't forget the problem that some iptables command fail and clients attempting to associate fail, and are captured by the wifidog - what does not raise the impression level. However that's off topic here, but are you interested in a Team Viewer session to access that other WAC going mad? Could offer you my notebook for the hours it takes to fetch the devlogs.

Message 5 of 7
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Kurt, Remote session would be good to understand your issues in details. Let me know if you are free - 30 mins from now. I will have my engineering team also. Thanks, Raghu
Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Currently on site with the one shwing this notification. Discovered another AP at rhe same location (all green as per Insight) wasn't reachable by LAN IP. Dropped a PM with both devlogs.

Can be back by about 12:00 GMT+0200 (some 20 minutes from now) to grant remote access to the iptables/wifidog WAC problem one.

Gee, Netgear should send me some hardware or pay for all the time and effort.

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements