This appears to be a dropbox issue rather than addon issue. I have a manual install of dropbox that I've been running successfully for many months - i just checked and it is reporting "Waiting to be linked to an account..." despite my not having made any changes to either my Dropbox setup or NAS setup
I'm not even sure really what the trigger for the alert would be. I didn't check detailed logs. But the processes were running and all the indicators in the addons display (Web UI) were green. It wasn't until I went into dropbox web to delete the computer entry (to relink after fresh addon install) that I noticed it's last contact with dropbox was weeks ago. But every indication from the addon was that it was OK. Hmm.
Update: Just relinked my NAS to my dropbox account and all is now fixed though it is taking a while to reindex all my files.
As for failure symptoms - dropbox was running perfectly correctly, but it had lost authorisation to access the internet based service so was simply sitting there waiting for authorisation to be granted. I expect that the addon, post setup, does not monitor the dropbox service status - just whether the dropbox process is running or not and assumes if so that all is OK. That's probably what can be enhanced as there are command line utilities that check the actual service status - might already be used by the installer, I haven't checked
We should wait for WhoCares? to chime in - he may have already been looking at this.
I can't think of anything I may have done locally to cause my setup to requiring relinking, so I'm suspicious something has changed on the dropbox side of things
Well, I've set up a sandbox to hook up for the global dropbox and can confirm that when I link the computer it syncs up right away, but soon after (very soon after) it stops. Seems the only way to kick it back into life is to relink the computer despite nothing else changing.
I don't remember this issue initially, so maybe this does have something to do with a change on Dropbox side. But that doesn't erase the behavior issues with 1.4.29 noted in the other thread from this evening.