× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

2x M4300-8X8F LAG on redundant stacking cables

s33
Aspirant
Aspirant

2x M4300-8X8F LAG on redundant stacking cables

Hello,

I have set-up 2 M4300-8X8F in my rack, they are going to be our new core switches. I have connected 2x 10G copper links between the core switches and have set-up the ports as STACK ports, which is no problem so far. The problem starts with the LAG channels.

I use 1/0/15 + 1/0/16 and 2/0/9 + 2/0/10 as the STACKS ports, so I have set-up 2 LAG channels, having 15/16 in channel 1 and 9/10 in channel 2. The problem is that I see the LAG channels as DOWN.

lag_channels.PNG

All the other LAG channels from the access switches are UP, so the functionality is working. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Re: 2x M4300-8X8F LAG on redundant stacking cables

Hi ,

The traffic between stack would be hash by source ip,source port,destination ip and destination port.

May be all traffic just hashed to same port by chance when you monitoring.

Suggest to monitring for a long time, and traffic would be even between the two stacking ports.

Thanks

Carl

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi ss3,

Welcome to the community

As you said " 1/0/15 + 1/0/16 and 2/0/9 + 2/0/10 are the STACKS ports". So it no need to create lag "ch1_stack,ch2_stack2". Just delete the these two lags.

For more about stack configuration you can refer this page 155.

Hope it helps

Thanks

Carl

Netgear Employee

Message 2 of 6
s33
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Carl_z wrote:

Hi ss3,

Welcome to the community

As you said " 1/0/15 + 1/0/16 and 2/0/9 + 2/0/10 are the STACKS ports". So it no need to create lag "ch1_stack,ch2_stack2". Just delete the these two lags.

For more about stack configuration you can refer this page 155.

Hope it helps

Thanks

Carl

Netgear Employee

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your reply.

Are you indicating that if I only select the two stack ports on each switch, that the unit will aggregate the two stacking ports on each switch by itself? So basically without LAG, I would already have 2x 10GbE bandwith between the switches?

Also another thing is that I've read on the forum the stack status Opr Standby is more in management terms and not indicating that the unit operates as a standby unit. I'm getting confused now, as the manual you linked states:

• Cfg Standby. Indicates that the unit is configured as the standby unit. The unit configured as the standby switch becomes the stack manager if the current manager fails.

• Opr Standby. Indicates that this unit is operating as the standby unit and the configured standby unit is not part of the stack.

So which one is it?

Thank you.

Message 3 of 6
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi ,

You are right !

If only select the two stack ports on each switch, that the unit will aggregate the two stacking ports on each switch by itself.  And would already have 2x 10GbE bandwith between the switches.

And Standby mode you can leave it at default value, no need to do any configuration about this

Thanks

Carl

Message 4 of 6
s33
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Carl_z wrote:

Hi ,

You are right !

If only select the two stack ports on each switch, that the unit will aggregate the two stacking ports on each switch by itself.  And would already have 2x 10GbE bandwith between the switches.

And Standby mode you can leave it at default value, no need to do any configuration about this

Thanks

Carl

Hi Carl,

If I check port statistics within the Monitoring menu, I would only see packets received on 1 stacking port on each switch instead of both stacking ports. This makes me wonder.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Hi ,

The traffic between stack would be hash by source ip,source port,destination ip and destination port.

May be all traffic just hashed to same port by chance when you monitoring.

Suggest to monitring for a long time, and traffic would be even between the two stacking ports.

Thanks

Carl

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements