× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX743 SFP 10Gbe Module and GSM 7328FS

wilwong1971
Follower

AX743 SFP 10Gbe Module and GSM 7328FS

Hi all, new to this forum and hoping experts here can advise me:

Hi all;

I have a new setup of Netgear Core switches consisting of 2 x GSM7328S and 2 x GSM7328FS, all stacked via AX742 module at the back

I have purchased 2 x AX743 module which netgear advises it's compatible.

I have 1 of each plugged into my GSM7328FS at the front module bays (I haven't got 10gbe equipment to test yet) but if going by the indicator lights reference by the pdf manual the card is not detected. (Module Light (M1 or M2) should be ON solid Green...

I have attached screenshots of the web interface with the status:

Now I think that should display a picture of a module (physically it's attached to Module Bay 1 on both, and the M1 light is off - which according to the manual no module is inserted)

and if you look into the Port list, it shows AX741 modules being inserted to the relevant slot (but not an AX743 - so it is sensing a module insertion)

Now my only concern is the module blanking plate on the GSM7328FS switch says compatible with AX741, AX742 but no mention of AX743..which why I checked with Netgear (it also shows the AX743 as an option on the website for that model) http://www.netgear.com/service-provider/products/switches/fully-managed-switches/GSM7328FS.aspx#four

The firmware is 8.0.3.15 i might try an update later to see if it makes a difference when I'm back to school next week

Anyone come across this?

PS tried Module Bay 2, same thing, this AX743 issue happens on both GSM7328FS I have under test.

Ta

Message 1 of 5
Garf
Aspirant

Re: AX743 SFP 10Gbe Module and GSM 7328FS

Hi
Did you get a response to this?

We're considering using Netgear switches as core and distribution in a large project, and have to say that using forums or raising support tickets for clarity on compatibility doesn't really appeal if we're going to spend ... ohhhh ... conservatively, £60K on Netgear equipment.

It's only the price of Cisco and Juniper that's stopping us from using their kit, naturally.

Thanks,
--Garf
Message 2 of 5
adit
Mentor

Keep in mind that this is a user forum. Netgear itself does not participate. Not all questions get answered. You can always call into Tech Support or contact a Netgear PowerShift Partner for pre-sales assistance.
Message 3 of 5
Garf
Aspirant

@Adit,

That was kinda my point. Making every little query a service request is neither efficient nor profit friendly for Netgear.

Having to ask about compatibility of a £400 module with a specific switch is not good - that kind of information should be available in a 100% unambiguous and commercially binding way from Neatgear directly. Just pointing out the difference perhaps, between the Netgear approach to support in comparison to Juniper and Cisco.

By bundling support with the procurement price of GSM and XSM gear, Netgear must make compromises on the quality of the support compared to paid support organisations such as Cisco or Juniper.

--Garf.
Message 4 of 5
kofi
Aspirant

The question was asked on edugeekt.net forums (edu sysadmin site), it can also be found via Google.

By reading the changelog you can determine that AX743 at least needs switch firmware version 8.0.3.25 when inserted in a GSM7xxxSv1 switch.

We recently got a GSM7328FS and it happily powers up a link via both a DAC cable and a 10GBASE-SR SFP+ optics. So far, so good.

And in confirmation to Garf's answer: Yes you have to make some (albeit for me: reasonable) compromises compared to Juniper and Cisco. - That's what you pay them "big fat checks for". (Quoting: http://serverfault.com/a/137600) 😉
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements