× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Accessing GS108Tv2 via Mobile App

dardwizzle
Guide

Accessing GS108Tv2 via Mobile App

Hi Guys, 

I have my switch connected to my LAN but I am unable to get the Android App "Netgear Insight" to connect and see the switch. The switch is listed within the app, but when I try to access it, it says the switch is unavailable. Does the app assume that the switch is on a specific subnet? I believe the manual says to use the .0.x subnet, but I have it on the .1.x subnet. Could this be why the app can't access the switch? 

If not, can anyone suggest any other way to get to manage the switch via my Android? 

Thanks!

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 6
Carl_z
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Accessing GS108Tv2 via Mobile App

Hi dardwizzle ,

Welcome to the community!

If you want to dicover and manage GS108Tv2, you should put your Android app in same subnet with the GS108Tv2.  So does your Android in same LAN  as GS108Tv2?

BestRegards

Carl

Netgear Employee

Message 2 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Discovery works regardless of the subnet, all what's required for the NETGEAR Switch Discovery Protocol (NSDP) for discovering the device by the NETGEAR Plus Utility and NETGEAR Insight is a transparent Layer 2 network (LAN, WLAN).

The GS108Tv2 - like many other non-Insight enabled network devices - has only "limited support" by the Insight App.

While the NETGEAR Plus Utility is able to communicate and configure the switches using Netgear NSDP, too - the NETGEAR Insight App can only discover and assist with the device registration for the "limited support" (non-Insight enabled) devices. To manage these, a Web browser connection is required - thus either the same IPv4 subnetwork is required, or a properly routing environment must be in place. 

Message 3 of 6
dardwizzle
Guide

HI there, thanks for replying. . Yes the Android and the switch (as well as my entire network) is all on the same subnet. Every thing is on 192.168.1.x, so there should be no issues here. My understanding is that the problem is that the App only has "limited support" for this switch or the switch has "limited support" with the app, so while I should be able to see the switch with the app, there is nothing I can do with the switch from the app. I actually thought I saw the response to this question here already but I don th bsee that reply when I just checked the question from you phone..

What is frustrating me the most so far about this switch is that while it works great and does what it's supposed to do, there are little issues here and there that appear to me to be "annoying little development problems " that Noone wants to fix because it doesn't affect the operation or configuration of the switch such as this issue and the fact that from within the Web app for the switch configuration, device view does not work because of the removal of Java support from within the Web Browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Ie, etc). When this was escalatedone to Net gear Support back in 2015, the response from support was that there was nothing slated in the development schedule your fix the device view but they figured it would get some Development time in a couple of months.. We a couple if months have long past and noond has ever taken the time to fix it so ,while yeah I get that it's just more of a convenience feature or neat feature whatever you want to call it, the fact that no one wants to put snytine to fix these little issues, it makes me wonder what major bugs or issues co u ld be lurking in the code somewhere that I just may joy be hitting yet.. it just makes me feel like there us only half hearted support for the device all the way around and that frustrates me greatly because I seem to as kways buy hardware that a development team diluent want to deal with supporting the product anymore which is the reason I will never purchase another D link product again.

And again I get that theseven issues do not as far as I know affect aNY core features and the things that aren't working are just more fun features or cool toys but when people stop caring about the fit and finish of a product it doesn't give me a warm feeling about how well the product will be supported if I ever run into a major problem and really need help.. I hope you guys understand where I'm coming from on this. .Thanks
Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@dardwizzle wrote:
Yes the Android and the switch (as well as my entire network) is all on the same subnet. Every thing is on 192.168.1.x, so there should be no issues here. My understanding is that the problem is that the App only has "limited support" for this switch or the switch has "limited support" with the app, so while I should be able to see the switch with the app, there is nothing I can do with the switch from the app.

Discovery, product registration, and open a Web browser ot the switch LAN IP - this is about it.

@dardwizzle wrote:
What is frustrating me the most so far about this switch is that while it works great and does what it's supposed to do, there are little issues here and there that appear to me to be "annoying little development problems " that Noone wants to fix because it doesn't affect the operation or configuration of the switch such as this issue and the fact that from within the Web app for the switch configuration, device view does not work because of the removal of Java support from within the Web Browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Ie, etc).

Device view does still require Java - with the browser makers ceasing from supporting NPAPI it's no longer workable. Now I'm not sure if the GS108Tv2 does make use of the "old" (blue/amber) Web UI design or already the new one - from the age I guess it's the old one. Well possible that Netgear won't do an update neither the UI, nor migrate the device view nor change the UI functionality. State of the technology as designed and implemented. Mostly like what the automotive industry does,

@dardwizzle wrote:
And again I get that theseven issues do not as far as I know affect aNY core features and the things that aren't working are just more fun features or cool toys but when people stop caring about the fit and finish of a product it doesn't give me a warm feeling about how well the product will be supported if I ever run into a major problem and really need help.

Seven issues ... say six when leaving the device view aside. Probably issues addressed in the new UI? 

Message 5 of 6
dardwizzle
Guide

hRE: Device view does still require Java - with the browser makers ceasing from supporting NPAPI it's no longer workable. State of the technology as designed and implemented. Mostly like what the automotive industry does,

- I suppose your right, I just hate when things don't work, especially all the bells and whistle, I like bells and whistles! Granted, I like functionality and reliability better, so it does work, and it is reliable (though I have to teach myself how to be able to use the ability to monitor the switch, such as what data can I accumulate taand parse into something useful. Such as, can I use some function to actually view the throughput on the switch, from seeing what packets are moving through the switch, and what kind of throughput and I getting and is here a correlation between the type of data and the speed in which its flowing?  Are there any bottlenecks? Why does the software say I should be seeing a speed of xxx, but the hardware monitor on the devices Dual Gigabit Lan Adapters (which are configured in a IEEE 802.3ad LACP LAG) are only showing a throughput of 443 mbps between my Laptops Gigabit Lan. Granted, they can't take advantage of the LAG in this config I don't think, but it's something I want to learn, and be able to see exactly what the switch is doing with all my traffic (no I wasn't asked for support in this other then perhaps where to go to best learn how to configure the switch for monitoring and actually seeing the data, since from there, I could learn the rest, I just need to see what it's doing first. 🙂

RE: Seven issues ... say six when leaving the device view aside. Probably issues addressed in the new UI? 

Sorry, that was a type-o, I meant to say that I get that "these issues don't affect functionality", not seven (7) issues lol..

Anyway, if you have any thoughts on where I can learn how to monitor (setup and use) the switch, that would be key right now, though Im sure I should ask that in it's own question...

Thanks a bunch for your thought, I appreciate it! 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements