× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding a new switch into the middle of an existing stack

rasar117
Aspirant

Adding a new switch into the middle of an existing stack

Hi All,

I am adding a GSM7328Sv2 to a stack. They have the same version of OS. The steps is as below.

1. Disconnect the redundant stack cable.
2. Disconnect the redundant stack cable that connects the last switch in the stack back up to the first switch in the stack at the position in the ring where the new switch is to be inserted.
3. Connect this cable to the new switch, following the established order of stack-up to stack-down connections.
4. Power up the switch. The new switch should join as a member (never as master; the existing master of the stack should not change).
5. Check that the new switch has joined the stack by ssh onto XX.XX.XX.XX and issue the command below.

>show switch

As this is the first time, just wanted to check if there are an preconfig on the new switch I need to carry out or are there otehr peconfiguration on the new stack I need to carry out? As the stack is our core switch, are there any risks I need to think a

Model: GSM7328Sv2|ProSafe 24 ports managed L3 gigabit stackable switch
Message 1 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Adding a new switch into the middle of an existing stack

Hi rasar117,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

As per checking, you are adding the new switch to your previous stack. No pre-configuration needed to be changed by default unless you do have VLANs that are needed to be added on your new switch. If you encounter any issues by adding the new switch to the stack, you could try to reboot all the switches and have them re-elect the master stack.

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
rasar117
Aspirant

Re: Adding a new switch on top of an existing stack

Hi John,

Thank you for your information. The stack does contain VLANs. The new switch is not connected to any device. So just to confirm that the VLANs will have to be added beforehand to the new switch. Does not adding it to a stack automatically add the VLN to the new member?

Kind regards

Raihan

Model: GSM7328Sv2|ProSafe 24 ports managed L3 gigabit stackable switch
Message 3 of 4
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Adding a new switch on top of an existing stack

@rasar117,

You can add the VLANs before or after connecting it to the stack. It will automatically sync the VLANs from the original stack once the new switch has been added. 

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements