× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding a new switch into the middle of an existing stack

roriol
Aspirant

Adding a new switch into the middle of an existing stack

I have an existing stack of various M5300 switches.   The switches are dispersed, configured as a redundant ring connected by multi-mode fiber using AXM761 SPF+ fiber modules.  It works great.

This is a 24 x 7 healthcare organization and the network is mission critical.  The organization uses several VLANs to isolate various type of traffic.  All ports are not configured the same and differ from switch to switch.

I wish to add a new switch (dispersed) physically between existing switches 3 & 4.   Assuming that the new switch joins as unit 5 my stack will be a ring:  1-2-3-5-4.   Is that OK?  If not, what are the recommendations?  

Model: M5300-52G-PoE+ (GSM7252PSv1h2)|ProSAFE 48+4 L2+ PoE Stackable Managed Switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Adding a new switch into the middle of an existing stack

@roriol,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to carry out the steps I suggested?  If yes, is everything working fine?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi roriol,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let me share the article below:

How do I add switches to an operating stack on my managed switch? 

As reference, kindly read pages 489-490 of the M5300 Series Software Administration Manual here about Add, Remove, or Replace a Stack Member. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@roriol,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to access the article I've shared and used it as your guide in adding a new switch to an existing stack? If yes, is everything working fine? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 6
roriol
Aspirant

Dana,

The article I had already seen online.  Step 4 of the article refers to adding the new switch to the top or bottom of the switch.   I have a virtual stack configuered as a redundant ring using 10GB fiber.  Each of the switches are in different IDFs in the building.   I want to add this new switch between current switch 3 and 4.  

I am concern that the new switch will be assigned switch "5" and the switches would be numbered 1-2-3-5-4 (and then back to 1).   How import is it that the switch number stay in order? 

Message 4 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@roriol,

I believe your goal is possible.  Kindly read below: 

1. Since you have an existing stack numbered 1-2-3-4, remove Switch 4 from the stack for the meantime.  Kindly access the article below as reference guide:

How do I remove a switch from a stack on my managed switch?

2. Connect the new switch as Switch 4.  You might want to preconfigure it before joining the new switch to the stack.  Kindly read pages 492-493 of the M5300 Series Software Administration Manual here about Preconfigure a New Switch Before Joining the Stack.  

Also, refer to this article below since it seems that you will be adding a new switch at the bottom of the stack: 

How do I add switches to an operating stack on my managed switch? 

Or, refer to this article below since it seems that you will replace switch 4 with a new switch: 

How do I replace a stack member on my managed switch?

3. Reconfigure the old Switch 4 as Switch 5.  Renumber switch 4 as switch 5 (you might need to configure everything from scratch).  Kindly read pages 494-495 of the M5300 Series Software Administration Manual here about Renumber Stack Members.  

Note:  If ever you are not confident to try the steps above on your own, feel free to open a chat/online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime for assistance. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 6
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@roriol,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Were you able to carry out the steps I suggested?  If yes, is everything working fine?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements