× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Another Firmware Scam perhaps?

mbkitmgr3
Aspirant

Another Firmware Scam perhaps?

I have a quantity of Netgear devices (Nas, Managed Switches, Home AP's) and recently I received an email supposedly from Netgear advising of a firmware update.  It does not say what device the update is for - surely Netgear would not be that "security" unwaware?NetgearEmailScamMaybe.JPG

Message 1 of 8
Godley
Aspirant

Re: Another Firmware Scam perhaps?

Here in Netherlands also a strange mail from Netgear.

See topic...

Did not click on a link, Netgear site says there's no update, also my r8000 told me so.

They try anything those criminals

Message 2 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @mbkitmgr3 / @Godley,

We appreciate and value having security concerns brought to our attention. NETGEAR constantly monitors for both known and unknown threats. Being pro-active rather than reactive to emerging security issues is fundamental for product support at NETGEAR.

It is NETGEAR's mission to be the innovative leader in connecting the world to the internet. To achieve this mission, we strive to earn and maintain the trust of those that use NETGEAR products for their connectivity.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 8
mbkitmgr3
Aspirant

Hi Dane and thanks for the response.  So to clarify my question, is this a legitemate email advisory or a scam.  If it is legitemate can you tell me what the update is for.  If Netgear is as serious about security as you infer, I imagine you'll be quick to respond so that we can act on it.

Message 4 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mbkitmgr3,

This is not a spam.  If ever the firmware of your NETGEAR device(s) are not yet updated, it would be best that you update it to the latest version because it includes fixes as well as enhancements.  One example is the latest firmware that was recently released for the GSS116E switch is v1.6.0.3, kindly read the new features in the link below:

GSS116E Firmware Version 1.6.0.3 Release Notes

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mbkitmgr3,

I just want to follow-up on this.  We’d greatly appreciate your feedback.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
mbkitmgr3
Aspirant

Feedback you shall get.

1. The emails should include the model of the device that the update is for.  Why - Too many scam emails have a "blind link".  I advise my clients to delete emails that arent specific.  e.g. I have received scam emails for Cisco products, the clue being the lack of detail.  The netgear was on par with the Cisco scam
  2. Support engineers on the forum should read and understand the question before posting a response.  Responses that dont answer have been a hallmark of Netgear support, and waste everyones time
Message 7 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mbkitmgr3,

Thank you for your feedback. 🙂  

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats