× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Backup via NMS300 stopped working after firmware update on M4300 switches

pacificcloud
Guide

Backup via NMS300 stopped working after firmware update on M4300 switches

Hi All,

I have multiple M4300 switches, SRX5308 firewalls and WC7600 controllers. I automatically backup configuration of all these devices via NMS300.

Recently I updated firmware on all switches to the latest version (12.0.2.15). Since the upgrade my scheduled backups stopped working and I get an error "File Transfer Failed". Backups of the SRX5308 firewalls and WC7600 controllers still work.

I tried switching "File Server Settings" from local to remote server as per NETGEAR recommendations but it does not help.

Anyone experienced a similar issue?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Max.

Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi pacificcloud,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

What is the version of the NMS300 are you using?  I researched about the issue you have experienced and found out that it should be solved by using the latest version of NMS300. I recommend you to download and install the latest version of NMS300 which is v1.6.0.3.  

You can download the latest version of the NMS300 on the following links below:

NMS300 Software Release 1.6.0.3 for 32-bit Windows

NMS300 Software Release 1.6.0.3 for 64-bit Windows

Kindly read the release notes of NMS300 v1.6.0.3 here.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
pacificcloud
Guide

Hi DaneA,

Thank you for your reply.

I have doubled checked the version of NMS300 and confirm that I run the latest v1.6.0.3.

Regards,

Max.

Message 3 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pacificcloud,

Thanks for the feedback. 

Let us isolate the problem.  Were you able to reset the M4300 switches back to factory defaults after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch?  If yes, kindly revert back the firmware of one of your M4300 switches to the version where it was working fine before.  Then, check if you are able to perform automatic backups of the configuration file of that specific M4300 switch again using NMS300 v1.6.0.3. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 8
pacificcloud
Guide

Hi DaneA,

Appreciate you help. 

This is what happend:

1. I have received a bunch of emaisl from Netgear "Important Security Update from NETGEAR:
New Firmware Is Available for Your Product
"

Our records indicate that you own the following product: XSM4324S. NETGEAR is aware of one or more security vulnerabilities affecting your NETGEAR product. NETGEAR has released firmware fixes for one or more vulnerabilities affecting your XSM4324S.

2. As per Netgear recommendations I updated the firmware via NMS300 on the switched to the latest version

3. After the update all switches work well and I do not see any issues with the new firmware.

4. Scheduled backup of the switches via NMS300 does not work since the upgrade.

5. Back up of all other devices (firewall and wireless controller) still works well via NMS 300.

To answer your question: "Were you able to reset the M4300 switches back to factory defaults after upgrading the firmware then reconfigure it from scratch?"

No, I did not reset switches to factory defaults after upgrading the firmware. Firmware upgrade on all switches was suscessfuly completed from NMS300. 

Message 5 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pacificcloud,

Thanks for the feedback.  Since the problem started after upgrading the firmware of the M4300 switches, let us try to downgrade the firmware of one of your M4300 switches to the version where it was working fine before.  Then, check if you are able to perform automatic backups of the configuration file of that M4300 switch (the one with the downgraded firmware) again using NMS300 v1.6.0.3.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 8
pacificcloud
Guide

Hi DaneA,

In my case, all switches are configured in stacks (each stack is 3 switches). Downgrading firmware on a stack will impact 100+ production users and this is a 24x7 live environment. To be able to schedule a maintenance window and take 100+ users down I need a more solid reason than "try this and see if it works".

Even assuming it works and I can backup downgraded stack of the switches via NMS300. What's next? Would you recommend downgrading firmware on all the switches and introduce all the bugs and security vulnerabilities of the previous firmware back to the production environment?

Regards,

Max.

Message 7 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@pacificcloud,

Thanks for letting me know.  Since its not possible to try to downgrade just one M4300 switch since its configured in a stack, it would be best that you open a chat or online case with NETGEAR Support at anytime.  Kindly state what happened and it will be escalated to the engineering team.  Don't forget to indicate the link to this forum thread to the chat or online case you have opened.   

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements