× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I purchase support for used switches?

l27
Guide
Guide

Can I purchase support for used switches?

Is it possible to purchase support for used switches bought from someone? Let's say I know someone that is selling a switch that I want to have supported. I know other manufactures will do this because I have done this with other manufactures before. Example Shoretel will recertify used equipment for a price and sell you a support contract. Watchguard does the same. I called Netgear support and asked but they were pretty clear the answer was no. Presales support didn't know.

I wanted to ask here before giving up on purchasing used switches, which can't be supported from what I gather.

Thanks,

John

Message 1 of 9
Evans-o
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Can I purchase support for used switches?

Hello 127,

Thanks for not giving up and welcome to NETGEAR's online community.

You may find Warranty and Support related answers to questions here: http://www.netgear.com/business/documents/prosafe-lifetime-warranty/default.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_org... and here: http://www.netgear.com/business/documents/prosafe-lifetime-warranty/faqs.aspx?cid=wmt_netgear_organi...

The very first item is as follows:

" FAQs ProSAFE Lifetime Warranty | ProSAFE Lifetime Warranty | Documents | Business | NETGEAR

How long are products covered?

A: For as long as the original buyer owns the ProSAFE product. Original proof of purchase is required to receive warranty service.

..."

You may still wait for reply from others to see if there are other ways you can get support for second-hand NETGEAR prosafe Switches.

Thanks

Message 2 of 9
l27
Guide
Guide

What about tech support/phone support? I understand I may not get warranty coverage buying used.
Message 3 of 9
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi l27, 

The units will be considered refurbished. Support can only be purchased by original owners (with their receipts) since buying support includes next-business-day replacements. Your best bet in getting help with questions/setup is the community or our KBs.

Thanks,

Message 4 of 9
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

NETGEAR Support policies do not currently allow for support on secondary owners in any capacity. As mentioned before, the community would be one of the better alternatives for Support on second-hand devices. Other NETGEAR customers may be able to help you very quickly on simple concerns and periodically, your post may be seen by a NETGEAR Support expert who can also provide answers to seemingly more complex questions.  You might also want to consider purchasing new devices from NETGEAR's authorized resellers, as some devices may come with lifetime warranty for first owner, which may be more beneficial for you in the long run (and your money). 

Message 5 of 9
l27
Guide
Guide

That is a shame. If you could transfer ownership and get support on used devices it would probably go a long way to helping netgear equipment retain its value in the used market. It would also show that netgear has confidence in the products it sells, enough confidence to support used devices. Netgear has come a long way in showing it can compete in the business space but this shows there is still some way to come.

I know what some might be thinking... The products are already priced competitively so why am I making a big deal out of this. Well, it's because I have a CFO who doesn't like me spending money! lol.

Thanks,
John

Message 6 of 9
ClausMallorca
Aspirant

can't you get the proof of purchase from the previous owner ?

Message 7 of 9
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ClausMallorca, 

About your question, in most scenarios, its possible that the original owner might not have the original proof of purchase of the device anymore by the time the original owner have sold the used device.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 9
l27
Guide
Guide

I ended up buying new switches. It would be nice to be able to purchase support for a used switch however.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements