× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Change port from Ethernet to stacking ports

richard-gray
Aspirant

Change port from Ethernet to stacking ports

Hi, I'm trying to join a xsm7224s prosafe into an existing xsm7224s to create a new stack, without resetting or rebooting the existing switch.

They are both at the same version:-

Software Version.9.0.1.42
Operating System. VxWorks 6.6

The ports on the existing switch I wish to stack with have the following config that I can't seem to clear

interface 1/0/5
vlan participation auto 1
exit

interface 1/0/6
exit

which I think is causing the running stack mode on SHOW STACK-PORTS to remain as Ethernet rather than change to Stack.

I can't see a method of removeing the :-

command

Can anyone tell me :-

a) a method of resetting a SWITCHPORT back to default (not the switch itself)

b) a method of removing the vlan participation auto 1 

c) any other issue that may be causing this problem

d) Why I decided to work in IT rather than being an International Jetsetting playboy? (It's ok I know the answer to this one, I'm too poor and ugly 😛 )

Thanks in advance for any help

Model: XSM7224S|ProSafe 24 ports managed 10G stackable fiber switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
msi
Luminary
Luminary

a) show stack-port should show which ports can be configured as Stack/Ethernet mode, the current configured and operational mode. Unfortunately in order to switch between each mode, the switch must be rebooted. I remember this was necessary on all stackable switches from Netgear back to the GSM7328FS which was the oldest model I ever had in my hands (8.0 or so, definitely also based on VxWorks.). Same applies to the current M4300's.

Unfortunately a show running-config doesn't give you this information, I think since it's not even part of the startup-config either, you have to work with the commands show stack-port and stack-port unit/slot/port [ethernet|stack].

b) Although it shouldn't interfere when a port is configured to stacking mode: 'no vlan participation include 1' should do the trick

c) I don't think so. Once the ports on each side are in stack mode you can join them

together using either the CLI or the GUI.

d) Because you like solving problems are are to honest for a life as jetsetter? 😉

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
msi
Luminary
Luminary

a) show stack-port should show which ports can be configured as Stack/Ethernet mode, the current configured and operational mode. Unfortunately in order to switch between each mode, the switch must be rebooted. I remember this was necessary on all stackable switches from Netgear back to the GSM7328FS which was the oldest model I ever had in my hands (8.0 or so, definitely also based on VxWorks.). Same applies to the current M4300's.

Unfortunately a show running-config doesn't give you this information, I think since it's not even part of the startup-config either, you have to work with the commands show stack-port and stack-port unit/slot/port [ethernet|stack].

b) Although it shouldn't interfere when a port is configured to stacking mode: 'no vlan participation include 1' should do the trick

c) I don't think so. Once the ports on each side are in stack mode you can join them

together using either the CLI or the GUI.

d) Because you like solving problems are are to honest for a life as jetsetter? 😉

Message 2 of 5
richard-gray
Aspirant

Thanks for that, I've just verified the problem and it's as you state the change requires a reload/reboot.

How to turn an 30min job into a days work....

Thanks for you help

Message 3 of 5
richard-gray
Aspirant

Hi again! Just for completeness in case anyone else is having the problem on :-

That doesn't work. it seems that once you have added any vlan info into it the port will always add a vlan to it.

given that this isn't the cause of my [CENSORED] problem I haven't dug in any further to it.

Don't worry you still keep your KUDOS and the Soloution tag...  🙂 

Message 4 of 5
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for updating - alright, I wrote the statement on b) based on me quick-checking the CLI guide but not an actual checking a config so it was out of my head. You should use 'vlan participation exclude 1' instead. I think there might be another possibility which would make VLAN 1 not being automatically added to each port by default.

You can then see the actually aprticipating VLANs:

(sw-as-v2-01) #show vlan port 1/0/1

[...]

Forbidden VLANS:

VLAN    Name
----    ---------------------------------
1       default

Unfortunately I can't update the first post anymore so that nobody does erroneous copy-pasting. 😕

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements