× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Changing switches in a stack - GS748TPS+GS724TPS -> GS748TPS+GS748TPS

dehidding
Follower

Changing switches in a stack - GS748TPS+GS724TPS -> GS748TPS+GS748TPS

I have a need to change out a switch in a stack made up of a GS748TPS + GS724TPS.  The new configuration would be a GS748TPS + GS748TPS.  

Any recommendations on the best way to accomplish this change.  Is it possible to retain the stack configuration through the change?  Should I assume that I'll need to restore the configuration after the change?  Will port 1 of switch 2 retain it's settings, even though the total number of ports will be changing?

Am I correct in assuming that all switches will need to be at the same firmware level?

Here's what I figure the change sequence needs to be:

1. Backup configuration (to local computer along with the stack master)

2. Break the stack - change units to stand alone and reboot
3. Update Firmware on individual stack members

4. Restack the individual units.

5. Restore the backup?

Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Changing switches in a stack - GS748TPS+GS724TPS -> GS748TPS+GS748TPS

Hi @dehidding,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Is it possible to retain the stack configuration through the change?  Should I assume that I'll need to restore the configuration after the change?  Will port 1 of switch 2 retain it's settings, even though the total number of ports will be changing?

I inquired your concern to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  As per the higher tier of NETGEAR Support, the stack configuration cannot be saved in configuration.  The stack likely needs to be broken to add a new switch.  

Am I correct in assuming that all switches will need to be at the same firmware level?

Yes, make sure that all switches have the same firmware version before doing a stack configuration.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Changing switches in a stack - GS748TPS+GS724TPS -> GS748TPS+GS748TPS

@dehidding,

Just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further inquiries. 

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements