× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cheapest switch that can limit bandwith speed by interface?

swealpha
Aspirant

Cheapest switch that can limit bandwith speed by interface?

Hello!

Do you guys know what the cheapest switch is that can limit bandwith speed by interface?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
swealpha
Aspirant

Re: Cheapest switch that can limit bandwith speed by interface?

Yes, between multiple VPN providers.

Looks like its kinda hard to complete if we dont buy a pfSense router that is little to advanced for me.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @swealpha 

Welcome to Netgear Community, beside unmanged switch, all others support the rate limit by interface.

Thanks

Message 2 of 12
swealpha
Aspirant

Sorry for not being more clear.

I mean if its possible to rate limit upload and download.  I see some switches only limit the upload speed.

Thank you!!

Message 3 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Limiting egress is one thing rather easy, but having massive consequences. But how would you implement an ingress bandwidth limitation - which would be at the end of the day just ignore and drop packets or what? Of course, there are technologies like pause frames, flow control, and back pressure.

Then think again why the IEEE has abandoned any plans on a standardisation of a granular flow limitation IEEE P802.3ar Congestion Management Task Force some decade(s) ago.

An Ethernet infrastructure does poorly compare with a hydraulic system.

What exactly - and why - do you want to achieve?

Message 4 of 12
swealpha
Aspirant

Two houses are sharing same internet connections.

So i would like to split 100Mbit. to. 2x50Mbit.

I found this router that can limit both upload and download, dont know if it works any good.

Netgear GS108Ev3
http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/GS105EV2/WebManagedSwitches_UM_EN.pdf

What do you think?
Thank you

Message 5 of 12
schumaku
Guru

That's a switch, not a router.

I would suggest using a proper router (no consumer ***** - that's not against the Netgear Smart Managed Plus or Pro switches) allowing to apply some rules for bandwidth management and reservations, and allow to give more bandwidth if not in use otherwise.

Message 6 of 12
swealpha
Aspirant

Sorry i mean switch ofcourse as topic.

Do you guys know any switches that is made for business use? That can limit bandwith per interface?

I dont think netgear have any routers that support hardware acceleration on OpenVPN. Or else it would be a supergreat idea to have a netgear router!

Thank you.

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

As I said - the Netear consumer devices won't help, and the BR500; might not be there yet for this purpose - bit I might be wrong.

What's the point thinking about hardware acceleration for 50Mb/s?

There are plenty of security appliances in the market coming with all you need.
Message 8 of 12
swealpha
Aspirant

Hello schumaku!

I am a "newbie", thats the biggest reason.
You would have made my day (or week) if you could recommend something that could handle this?

What we need:
Router with OpenVPN failover and killswitch that turns off internet connection of no OpenVPN provider is online.
Possibility to limit port-interface.

This was my idea, until i found out Asus-wrt merlin and dd-wrt dont have any easy failover solution. Thank you!

Message 9 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@swealpha wrote:

Router with OpenVPN failover and killswitch that turns off internet connection of no OpenVPN provider is online.
Possibility to limit port-interface.

What is the point of handling any Internet traffic over a VPN provider?

@swealpha wrote:

This was my idea, until i found out Asus-wrt merlin and dd-wrt dont have any easy failover solution. Thank you!

Failover for the VPN client to different VPN concentrators [servers] (most VPN providers use DNS, so why bother?) or between multiple VPN providers?

Message 10 of 12
swealpha
Aspirant

Yes, between multiple VPN providers.

Looks like its kinda hard to complete if we dont buy a pfSense router that is little to advanced for me.

Thank you.

Message 11 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Generic usage of some hide-my-butt VLAN providers isn't a business feature you wont find on many products, and I have not talked about multiple providers. It's (sory saying...) more something for aluminum hat people and suspect criminals. Not talking of the bandwidth sharing - just the VPN ideas: What other reason is there for such a set-up? 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements