× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting to device via GS750

mxh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Connecting to device via GS750

We recently had a switch fail during an office move so I purchased a new GS750e and installed it with the intention of doing any config later on. It's now in production with all the system defaults still in place, and in the main is working OK, but I have one issue which I can't work out.

I'm trying to connect to an old swipe card system. The system has been configured with a static IP address (on the correct subnet) but when plugged into the switch we cannot ping it. I set up an old temoprary 10/100 switch and plugged my PC (with static IP) and the swipe card system into this - pings fine. Plug those cables back into the GS750 - no ping.

I also connected the old switch to the new (so I have PC --- GS750 --- Old switch --- Swipe Card System) but this still doesn't ping. But if I plug another device into the old switch (so I have PC --- GS750 --- Old switch --- <other device>) then I can ping the other device just fine.

My initial thought was that it wasn't auto-negitiating the speed correctly, so I have tried manually setting the speed on the port but that didn't make any difference. And the fact that it can connect to the 10/100 switch OK suggests that this may not be the issue anyway.

There don't appear to be any unusual settings on the swipe card setting - and the fact that it works OK through the old switch suggests it's not the issue either.

Any ideas as to what can be causing this? Or at least ideas on how I can further narrow down what the issue could be?

Model: GS750E|48 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Connecting to device via GS750

@mxh,

What is the current firmware version of the GS750E switch?  If ever its not yet the latest version, I suggest you to upgrade it.  The latest GS750E firmware is v1.0.1.7 and you can download it here.   

After upgrading the firmware, perform a factory reset on the GS750E switch then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version.  Then, check if the same problem will occur.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
mxh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

That was one thing that I did do before putting it into production, so it's already running the latest firmware (v1.0.1.7)

As a test, I have a separate network also running a new GS750e with the latest firmware - I was able to test the same setup on this network and got the exact same results.

For the moment I've got the 10/100 switch connected to the GS750e and the PC and Swipe Card System plugged into the 10/100 switch, so it's working. But obviously I'd prefer to have both devices plugged straight into the GS750e so would like to get to the bottom of this.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Even if not required for 10/100 - can you check that "full" four pair/eight strands cables are in place? Spotted on several newer switch models (various brands) that 10/100 links don't negotiate on reduced two pair/four strands cabling.

Message 4 of 5
mxh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have tried several different cables - all are 4 pair / 8 strand and none of them make any difference.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements