× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Creating Trunks on GS switches

scruffmeister
Aspirant

Creating Trunks on GS switches

I've inherited a flat network using a number of Netgear GS724TP switches. I have some experience of networking but not with Netgear devices. My aim is to create trunks between the switches and setup some VLANs to separate some of our devices that don't need to communicate.

I've had a look at this article, but what is not clear to me is if I create 3 VLANs, do I need to go onto each VLAN in "Switching - VLAN - Advanced - VLAN Membership" and set the trunk ports to "T", or is there some way to just tell the switch just once that a port will be the trunk for every single VLAN the device knows about, now and in the future (i.e. like you can on Ubiquiti)?

Obviously it's not too hard if you only have a couple of VLANs, but if you had 10 VLANs and 10 switches in your network - that's a lot of "T"s you have to insert and check which seems a bit error prone! Also, what happens if you introduce a new VLAN, do you just have to remember to add it to the trunk?

Many thanks.

Model: GS724Tv3|24 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Creating Trunks on GS switches

GARP/GVRP should be available on (all?) the Smart Managed Pro (GSxxxT, XSxxxT) switch models..

Message 2 of 3
scruffmeister
Aspirant

Re: Creating Trunks on GS switches

Hi,

That sounds promising, can you elaborate how I can actually put this into practice on the network I descibed?

Thanks

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements