× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Daisy-chaining an access point to port on M4100

robnicholson
Aspirant

Daisy-chaining an access point to port on M4100

Kind of a newbie question as I've never really delved into managed switches. My client has an existing M4100 and a new one has been installed. I need to set-up a temporary access point off one of the new ports - is there any kind of limit on a port? I have a dim memory of Cisco switches and a maximum to two devices connected. So if you added (say) a 4 port switch to a Cisco port, only two devices would work off the switch. There are two Cisco access points connected to the existing switch and they seem to work. I didn't build the original network so I little in the dark.

Model: FSM7226P | M4100-26-PoEProSAFE 26-port Fully Managed L2 Switch with PoE
Message 1 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Daisy-chaining an access point to port on M4100

Hi @robnicholson,

Just to verify.  Is the new M4100 switch daisy-chained to the existing M4100 switch?  Then, the two Cisco access points are directly connected to the new M4100 switch?  It would be best if you post an image or screenshot of your detailed network setup showing the existing network and the ones you wanted to implement.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Daisy-chaining an access point to port on M4100

The limitation to one or two MAC addresses on the Cisco is for access ports, not for generic or trunk. Nothing to bother on the Netgear AFAIK.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements