× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Extra ventilator-cooling for the M7100-24X?

RobLigt
Aspirant

Extra ventilator-cooling for the M7100-24X?

Hello World!
I seek your guidance, experiences and tips please on the following:

I've been comissioned to move our Netgear M7100-24X's into smaller (= about 12HE) patch-cabinets.

Per 19inch rack, there will be 2x Netgear M7100-24X with each 2x powersupplies fitted (of course) next to the (default, I believe) 2x fan trays, per unit. (so in total 4x powersupplies & 4x fan trays in 1x 19 inch rack.

Naturally, I'm also looking into the cooling/heat-ventilation:

According to the data-sheet, the  M7100-24X has a front-to-back airflow.
Where I believe the air-intake is on the side and exhausted via the twin fan trays at the back.

The patch cabinet has the option to mount 2x ventilators on top (roof), 2x on the bottom and 2x on each of the side-panels.
So, effectively, each side of the patch cabinet can have 2x ventilators mounted, if so needed.

Looking at the sizing of the 2x fan trays I believe they can keep the M7100-24X very nicely cooled effectively.

However, I can imagine 2x of those beasts into 1x smaller-size cabinet might need some ventilators to help dissapate the heat a bit better from the 19inch patch cabinet to the outside and aid the 2x M7100-24X to be a bit more effectively cooled.

May I ask, in the above described scenario, how many and where would you place additional ventilators?

I could be very wrong but perhaps 1x ventilator per side in push-configuration to create a positive airflow and 1x or 2x ventilators in the top in pull-configuration to guide the hot airflow towards the back-ish to the outside?

Any guidance, tips or links will be highly appreciated!

Model: M7100-24X (XSM7224)|ProSafe 24 ports 10G fully managed L2 switch
Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@RobLigt,

Are these 19-inch rack where the M7100-24X will be placed, is it inside an air-conditioned room?  

Kindly post photos of the 19-inch rack you are referring so that other community members who are familiar with it can post their suggestions and recommendations. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 8
RobLigt
Aspirant

@DaneA,

Thank you for your response, much obliged!

No, the M7100-24X's (2x per 19 inch rack plus the Netgear 1GBe switch) will be placed on the office workspace, per floor.
(so a total of 48x 10GBe ports and 52x 1GBe ports but I do not expect all ports will be populated due to the new way of working in pandemic times)

As we are upgrading all workstations and servers plus whatever else has an ethernetport, to 10GBe where applicable.
So cooling (and heating) will be per regular typical office-space, no specific airconditioning is planned at this time. 

The 19 inch racks are the Rittal Rittal FB 7507.110 which is 9U's.

Here are some pictures;

Message 3 of 8
RobLigt
Aspirant

Message 4 of 8
RobLigt
Aspirant

Message 5 of 8
RobLigt
Aspirant

Message 6 of 8
RobLigt
Aspirant

Message 7 of 8
RobLigt
Aspirant

I've seen & noticed that the M7100-24X reports temperatures.
So far I have observered a maximum temperature whilst inside this 9U rackspace of 45 degrees centigrade on both units.
But that was not on full load.

I believe the safest maximum temperature for the M7100-24X is 60 degrees centigrade?
(deemed as "normal operating temperatures")

In each 9U rack I will also have a Blackbox ServSensor to monitor the internal environment too.

Please note that the top-plate of the 9U has also the same cut-outs for ventilators as the bottom-plate as the picutes shown.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements