× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[FEATURE SUGGESTION] MS108EUP - PoE usage monitor

tojack
Aspirant

[FEATURE SUGGESTION] MS108EUP - PoE usage monitor

Hi all,

I'm new in the Netgear networking community (besides owning an old ReadyNAS), hopefully this is the correct place for such a question.

I'm coming from a different brand of PoE switches that had a (imho) very useful feature: instant power usage per port.

Would it be possible to add such option to the MS108EUP? I'd like to know if my setup is power optimized, how much my (for example) AP is eating at night, if/how much I can save by playing with transmission power, and so on.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: [FEATURE SUGGESTION] MS108EUP - PoE usage monitor

This is not a question on the Netgear switch brand. Much more it's a feature not available due to the simplicity of this Plus switch class core (unmanaged, just configurable) and PoE controller design. It's essentially an unmanaged switch core with a simple PoE add-on.

Message 2 of 4
tojack
Aspirant

Maybe I'm missing something, but with LAG, VLAN and QoS support, I wouldn't really call it unmanaged. Btw the feature in discussion is an option I've seen on switches with a price range of about one third of the price of this one (1GbE switches, tho, but 1/3 nonetheless).

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Key factors for the manufacturing pricing are with the 8x RJ-45 (100/​1000/​2.5GBase-T) ports, combined with 4x RJ-45 PoE++ (4x 60W), 4x RJ-45 PoE+ (4x 30W), total 230W, as a passive cooled device. Still, the switch core is just a configurable switch core, not a managed core, extendable and more full manageable core offering more resources (Flash, memory, CPU) and features.

In some online markets, the MS108EUP is designated in the online text resources as "managed" and "L2/L3". Clearly a mistake in my opinion.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements