× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FS726T - Basic VLAN 802.1q setting issues

jhaye
Novice

FS726T - Basic VLAN 802.1q setting issues

Hello there

I have issues in setting up basic 802.1q VLAN on my netgear FS726T:

- I have assigned ports 1 and 2 to VLAN 50, and have removed them from default VLAN 1.
- These two ports are configured as Untag (U)
- Port 24 is supposed to be my uplink, therefore is configured to be part of VLAN 1 and VLAN 50. As playing uplink role to transport all traffic from VLANs he is part of, it is configured as Tagged (T) for VLAN 1 and VLAN 50.

My issue is:
- PC1 is connected to port 1 and is pinging PC2
- PC2 is connected to port 24 and runs Wireshark (for packet capture)
- I would expect to see PING REQUEST packets coming from PC1 to go out of port 24 with a VLAN tag, namely 50. Wiresharks shows that it's not the case. More over, if these PING REQUESTs would have been tagged, PC2 would not be able to reply to these pings as it can not interprete tagged packets. In reality, PC2 does reply to these PINGs !

Many thanks in advance for your help on this very basic problem :confused:

Jean-Marc
Message 1 of 4
RSchwein
Aspirant

Re: FS726T - Basic VLAN 802.1q setting issues

There is no guarantee you will be able to see VLAN tags because different operating systems and drivers handle VLAN tags in different ways. If the VLAN tag is handled by the network interface card or driver on the system that Wireshark is loaded on, the tag will not be handed up to Wireshark and you won't be able to see the tag when you analyze the traffic. If the card or driver passes the VLAN tag to the upper layer on the Wireshark system, you will be able to see and analyze the VLAN tag field. Bob
Message 2 of 4
matthijs
Aspirant

Did you also update the PVID setting for port 1 and 2? Leaving that at VLAN 1 would cause packets to show up in VLAN 1 instead of 50 (though you also configured VLAN 1 as tagged on port 24, so it might not completely explain your observations).
Message 3 of 4
DenzelTPA
Aspirant

[QUOTE=jhaye;344224]Hello there

- I have assigned ports 1 and 2 to VLAN 50- Port 24 is -- is configured to be part of VLAN 1 and VLAN 50.

My issue is:
- PC1 is connected to port 1 and is pinging PC2 on port 24

Is PC2 on a different L2 managed switch? if it on port 24 then it is still on the same logical network because per your post VLAN 50 members are 1,2,24

Ho many switches are you using? what are you uplinking to/from?
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements