× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

FSM 7328S Not Responsive on LAN Ports

gbrown1001
Aspirant

FSM 7328S Not Responsive on LAN Ports

Hi,

Got an ebay purchase here sold as working but I have no experience of these products. Basically I don't see a connection light if I plug in a LAN cable. I have just rebooted the switch and plugged in a console cable. It boots and I go into the Utility Menu (using Putty) - under Vital Product Data I get this:

Vital Product Data:-
Operational Code Image File Name - RELEASE_CUST_NG_GSM_REL620_6.2.0.14-netgear_fsm73xxs-LRM-QSr6v2m0b14.tgz
Rel 6, Ver 2, Maint Lev 0, Bld No 14
Timestamp - Mon Jul 2 14:34:49 EDT 2007
Number of components - 3
Device - netgear_fsm73xxs

If I start the application it seems to boot OK and sits at (Unit 1)>
If I hit enter it changes to (Unit 4)>

Whatever I now type I get:

started!

(Unit 1)>
(Unit 4)>show hardware
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

(Unit 4)>

So, I have no idea what to do with this. I am assuming it is configured in some kind of stack mode as a slave. I cannot find anywhere how to factory reset this thing, can anyone explain what I need to do from here? (Suspect I need to reflash but no clue how or what with!)

Thanks

Graham
Message 1 of 11
adit
Mentor

Re: FSM 7328S Not Responsive on LAN Ports

Check the manuals http://support.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2409 Upgrade the firmware once you do get in.
Message 2 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

manual do not reset options very well
Message 3 of 11
gbrown1001
Aspirant

Hi Adit,

The manual tells me I should get a login prompt but i don't. I just get this (Unit 4)> thing.

Will continue reading again (I picked out those areas out of 344 pages I thought were relevant before) but could really do with a hint from someone in the know!

Thanks

Graham
Message 4 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/7300_CLI.pdf

have you see this pdf?

I think one of your issues is even you get login prompt , your admin account will be hard to reset for password because you have to get login first.

I had bought some terminal server rack and I could not clear it. you almost have to to do some jtag to reflash the firmware to fix the problem is one way. I end up bought new one instead to since this old terminal server I got from ebay and I had to tinker with special IC chip I need to work with.
Message 5 of 11
gbrown1001
Aspirant

When I use the ? in the console all I get is:

devshell Execute devShell command. Only admin user can run this
command.

So I guess whatever mode I am in this is the only command. I think I need to try to flash it! In the Utility menu I can see the "Load Stack Code Update Package using XMODEM/YMODEM/ZMODEM" Can I use that?

Thanks

Graham
Message 6 of 11
gbrown1001
Aspirant

Well I downloaded a copy of 6.2.0.14 and have started to flash the unit via XMODEM. Now I have just found this advice below:

http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22/~/what-to-do-when-my-managed-switch-does-not-b...

For GSM73xxS, instead of using the firmware images available on the NETGEAR support site, first obtain the file “gsm73xs-6.2.0.6.opr” available from URL ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/gsm73xxs-6.2.0.6.opr. Then, use the following procedure to load the switch with that file. After reboot the switch, upgrade to the 6.3.x.x firmware normally using either TFTP or HTTP from WEB interface, or copy command from CLI. The file “gsm73xxs-6.2.0.6.opr” should only be used for loading the switch using XMODEM and serial console. Do NOT use the file for normal firmware upgrade using TFTP.

Do you think I should allow it to finish and go through with the operation by storing the code to flash using the firmware I chose or tell it not to save the file and re-upload the .opr file instead?
Message 7 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

those different model files so I would not use it.
Message 8 of 11
gbrown1001
Aspirant

Well I re-flashed and after it completed I quit the utilities. I got a login prompt but username of admin and blank password did not work. I figured I should reboot it.

After the reboot I am back to the usual Unit 1> then changing to Unit 4> when I press any key.

Will NetGear help me on this if I raise a ticket? I'm sure this is just a case of resetting to default and all should work, it just looks like it is configured as a stack slave.

Thanks

Graham
Message 9 of 11
gbrown1001
Aspirant

Just to update you and close the thread!

I ended up using the "Erase Permanent Storage" option in the boot utilities of the switch. I reflashed with the V6 firmware as before but this just hung at the (Unit 1)> stage.

I reflashed with the latest V7 firmware and the machine has come back to life!

Thanks for the tips all. Case Closed!

FYI - I followed this page for the notes on the erase procedure:

http://techtips-tom.blogspot.com/2010_11_01_archive.html

Graham
Message 10 of 11
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Sounds great!
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats